Miracle grow organic choice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Miracle grow organic choice?

I'm a reefer that has only done goldfish when I was little and now I'm on to reefs. I'm thinking about doing a Low tech planted tank. I'm buying a standard 20g with a 24 inch finned fixture for planted tanks (daylight with moonlight) 20watts. I still have a few questions. Should I put a heater in this tank? Should I use fluorite or miracle grow organic choice? Seachem matrix? Seachem flourish? Seachem stability? As you can see I'm a newb to planted tanks and need sole help. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Different people will have different opinion.
Some don't like dirt because it's too messy or other reason.
Personally I use dirt. It's dirt cheap and does the job well.

As far as heating, that would depend on fauna. I suppose plants have preference too as far as temperature goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:35 AM
Algae Grower

I use dirt in all my tanks too and it does get a little messy when first setting up. Make sure to cap the dirt with something and soak it for a day to limit floating pieces when you fill the tank. Dirt also worked wonders for me when I had 3 watts in a 10 gallon tank (wouldn't recommend it got lucky). Don't think you need Seachem matrix or stability for a low tech but flourish does help. Only problem I had with dirt is when replanting or rescaping, you have to pull plants out slowly, and the stems with strong roots I had to cut, nevertheless dirt is very good for growing plants. Never tried fluorite before so I might be sounding biased.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
What do you plan to keep in the tank (fish,invert, and plant list)? What is water temp in the room you plant to have the tank (set out a cup of water if you don't have the tank filled in its final spot yet to check)?
I use MGOPM (Miracle gro organic potting mix) in one of my pico tanks. It works well, but not all plants need soil. For example mosses, ferns, and anubias which do not root in the substrate traditionally. I used a sand cap for mine but some have used gravels (smaller is better than larger gravel, less gaps. No experiences with fluorite, but you should not need liquid ferts (except possibly a 'liquid co2 supplement' with a soil based tank.. unless you have a plant type known to be a nutrient hog (swords-iron, hygro and lily-potassium).. but I have pygmy chain and micro sword in my soil tank, only dose Seachem Excel and they're doing great. It can take half a year to a year before those plants suck all the specific nutrient out of the soil and you need to supplement with root tab or liquid fert.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 AM
Algae Grower

I set up my tank with MGOC and my plants are doing great. It's a small 15G almost fully stocked. So yeah, I had my doubts, but needless to say, you can get good results and strong growth with dirt alone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode