I think this is the smallest currently running pressure gassed planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think this is the smallest currently running pressure gassed planted tank

I couldnt find any search returns on other half gallons that are gassed, lemme know if you know of any currently running

check out the pearling I got that co2 dialed in legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGQf2rT49w

this is how the co2 is done twice a day so that it doesnt overdose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9PtoXrN6Yk

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=3VQ1AmBOjhs

How about pearling without CO2?

It's about half gal or so with dirt substrate

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thats nice! I had trouble finding anything near this size on vid and that looked great, Im currently shopping for some reds as well, considering this little red buce group fs on here
I dont have room for ludwigia its 4 inches max height so finding compact reds is hard let me know if you find any of those types!

I guess the reason for co2 vs no co2 is the same for any tank, either or as long as the runners come~ for this tank Ive always wanted a micro gasser so after adjusting over and over spill rates and finding the right volume and diameter opening for surface area exposure it turns out some api test tubes will gas it exact

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

I call shens - clearly a gag tape measure. :P

Well done! I would chuck shrimp in there, but that's just me. I'm planning on setting up a 2.5 gal on my desk at work - I may steal your CO2 technique!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are five little blue buggers and they still go invis lol! 5 more coming tomorrow

theshrimpfarm is doing me right. thanks for stopping

wanted to add something for your venture...it will def work for a 2.5 and Ive already almost tuned one for another user via pm

its not api tubes they drain too fast for that size

Its cheap plastic test tubes six inches from amazon!! few bucks man

put 7 of them in a panflute array, sounds big I know but you want it. you just cap the end of the last one if its too much~

I know I could have gone dirted and saved the gas but there are reasons I didnt and still prob wont for the one I have coming for my work desk...sure its a hassle to tune it, but now with these capture techniques being perfected its no longer an overdose risk, its how many tubes do you need but the output rate is fantastically accurate.

just change water with the same 80/20 mix of ro and tap and it all works like clockwork.

a dirted tank I thought might have too much organic output for a small pico and I was worrying about algae issues, I really hate algae

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This looks possibly quarter gallon I can't tell but its great

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...98a8817745.jpg

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

There aren't many small red plants, Hmm perhaps you can try Eriocaulon blood vomit or some colored crypts. You can force prune stuff like ludwigia senegalensis to be small but they may not be very healthy.

Thats quite a lot of effort to get CO2 into a small tank haa, though the science behind it is admirable. Soil does release quite a bit of organics, but the slow decomposition also releases quite a bit of CO2, which allows some picky plants to grow. I thought one of the benefits of a pico desk tank is that it can be free standing without all the sophisticated attachments....

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I contemplated for a while on how to go about the substrate, there were some unique aspects that made me disregard the dirted approach but I see its helpful in other ways as well.

for my particulars, it was the inevitable mixing that occurs in small tanks. as hard as we'd like to think it can be kept stratified, I didnt want to have to be on eggshells each scape attempt or on each attempt to do mass hard water changes, the hands off nature was a factor. tons of threads exist for dirted tanks getting overturned, I didnt want that possibility 22 mos into the game for example.

had bed depth limits, what you are posting is a dsb about 2-3x as deep as mine, my containers that have the matching stands are simply a different shape and I can't fill up a third of it w dirt and cap.

this is no way shortchanges the dirted system...just wasnt sure how many years it could last with a smaller substrate amnt so I went with water table nutrient provisions to have more consistent control even though its mechanical

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Last edited by brandon429; 11-19-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: sp
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
do you have a filter on that thing?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nope thanks for asking

I was contemplating just the other night how fascinating the aspect of no circulation aquariums have been

everything you read online is flow, plants need it, fish need it, and especially nitrifying beds need it

and its there just not very pronounced...as crazy as it sounds there are many ways a still tank still has enough motion to do what it needs to do and its not even the obvious such as a fish flicking by

there are temp stratifications that occur diurnally to cause mini turnover, brownian molecular motion, various diffusions going on between bed and water column, plant driven exchanges where their phsical take and gives make variations, all very fascinating and minute.

Every leaf and wood and stone and substrate ball in there is the filter~

now if you want to see something neater, consider still _reef aquariums_ talk about mind blowing. no reef sage on the planet in 2002 would agree you could lump some live rock and coral into a still filterless container and do the same. yet its done en masse, see biotope forum at nano-reef.com

regarding old school filtration, its only absolutely required when bioload X causes ammonia in system X or conditions are not pre designed to support very low fluid movement and super low 02 occurs (evident by fish behavior pre lights on)

no ammonia or trite, no low o2 behavior, no filter needed.

Im surprised nobody mentioned the fish in a half gallon thing yet. My premade answer to that is, the destiny of a feeder guppy just got a massive upgrade and he thinks he's in the hilton hotel free of room and board.

of all the pics posted so far they are all open top so I feel this design element adds further variation and stability. I don't have to topoff, it is sealed from contaminants etc

fully enclosed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141116_205123.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	393193  

Last edited by brandon429; 11-18-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: pic
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
sounds great man! I eventually want to get a guppy and some CRS in my 4g once it cycless. The tank looks great and is inspiring me to get one of these setups on my desk at work when im more experienced.

What are you using to light it?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its a 9watt 6500 from hellolights.com with fan in mini canopy all old school 90s retro I know rimless looks better but it's all retro gear lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141028_163130.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	393201  

Name:	20141008_213033_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	393209  

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Algae Grower

I often run DIY co2 on small planted vases, but only when they don't have plants in them. Sometimes I like to do it just to grow out the plants well before I add livestock, other times I have no plans to add plants. Too risky IMO
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes it used to be that constantly inputting the co2 was the way, now that we have seen capture techniques, its opposite in risk. the tube will always drain the same, so you dont input the co2 all day long as usual which marks a change away from that old school risk
but thats only if someone wants to gas it, clearly dirted works too there are tradeoffs on both.

I run the co2 for 2 mins a day total
this system is very self sustaining as well...the shrimp molts get eaten by the fish and shrimp, the copepods are in constant production at the :50 mark you can see him stalk and eat one. I do weekly full water changes and remove the detritus, but they eat off the primary production of the tank which has removed many of the typical weak links from small tanks, this one doesnt even need feeding very often at all to sustain a breeding population of neos and a guppy.
just a little experiment in long term microbalance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aaa.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	393682  

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is really impressive! I've been toying with the idea of using pressurized CO2 on my new Cubus project, but I keep going back and forth. I have another Cubus on DIY CO2, and it has done quite well (Red Rili Shrimp included), but since this new tank will be going to my office I wanted something clean & self-contained... ergo one of the mini-systems. That being said, I do plan to keep some variety of Neo's in the tank so I'm worried about gassing the shrimp.

I was curious about how you dial in the system you use? Trial & error? Or have you worked out some calculation?

|
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode