New to Planted's... Questions on Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to Planted's... Questions on Setup

Hey everyone, new to the forum here. I have been lurking around for a few days trying to learn a little, and I decided to be a part of the community. I a new to planted FW tanks, but I have a 10G Reef that has been running for 7 months (going to upgrade soon) and a 30G regular community that will be sold soon. I also have a vivarium, but thats not related to anything here.

So, here is my idea. Saying my 10G will be upgraded in a few weeks, I will have an empty tank. I need some help deciding on equipment, etc. I am on a decent budget, but not too bad IMO.

My ideas:
-Tank: Standard 10G
-Lighting: I was thinking about using the 20" Coralife 28W fixture, but that may be too much on the budget. I have seen a lot of threads with the Hampton Bay 27W... does anyone have a link to that?
-CO2: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=14711
-Filtration: I was thinking about the Tom Rapids Mini Canister filter. Thoughts? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=16742 Or is a HOB easier? The tank will be in my bedroom, so it needs to be decently quiet.
-Substrate: Eco-complete?

I want to keep Amano and Cherry Shrimp in the tank (mostly Cherry), but I want some fish too. I would definatly get 3 Otto's, and then I was thinking of 6-8 Cherry Barbs. Are they safe with the shrimp?

I want to mostly keep low light plants, and maybe the lower-end medium light plants. Lightign and filtration are the main thing I have questions on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
First of all, welcome to the Planted Tank!

I think your ideas are good. That coralife fixture is good, and if you stay in that lighting range you should be able to grow a good amount of various plants. The Hampton Bay light can be picked up from your local Home Depot, or Lowe's too, I think. I don't have a link, sorry, but it's a nice lamp. Being that it's a smallish bulb, it will cast some shadow in a standard 10g, but you can make that work. I have one over my 5g, and it still shades the edges of the tank.

As far as filters go, I think you'll be happier with a good HOB, like the Aqua-Clear. If you keep the water level up high enough so that there isn't a "waterfall" you won't have to worry about it being loud. The mini-canister you mentioned is not as good as an actual canister, so if you can't budget a good canister, stick with a HOB.

As far as your fish choice, remember cherry barbs get BIG, so I don't think they are the best choice for a 10g. Also, they will probably eat your cherries when they are big enough. At least, they WILL eat your baby cherries. Plus, they don't school, and it's much nicer to see a school of small fish in a small tank. I'd go with some small tetras or rasbora.

Also, vivariums are SO related to anything here!!! Have you checked the paludarium forum? There are many vivarium lovers in there!

This place is fun, so welcome!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
You could get a coralife t-5 fixture for cheap, though I'm not 100% that they have a 20 inch version, but a 24 inch would work fine even if it does hang 2 inches over on each side. For the co2 you might just want to make one out of a 2 liter. hob filters work fine as well, as church said. Anything that is in a glass box belong in this forum, so have some fun

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
they dont have a 20" t5 besides the current t5HO which is high tech, i checked lol the homedepot lamp has pretty crappy light coverage for a 10g (im using one now) so i would go with the current 28W just to get that spread. or you can DIY a hood (or buy one that has 2 sockets) and configure your own wattage. yeah go with DIY co2 and a HOB without a biowheel. AC20 (mini) or AC30 would work fine. i wouldnt do cherry barbs but instead something like boraras brigittae or celestial pearl danios, nano fish that are shrimp safe.

welcome to tpt
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everybody for the welcomes and ideas.

It sounds like I will go with the 20" 28W fixture, and have some sort of HOB. It sounds like everyone likes the AC. Any thoguhts on the Penguin, Emperor, etc?
I actually have a spare internal Whisper 10i (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=12085). Are these ok for planted tanks? I could have two if needed.

I'm not a big fan of CPD's, but I do like Harlequin Rasbora's and many types of Tetras. I have had (actually, still do) have Cardinals, and love them, but would like to have some variety. Also, I'm not a fan of livebearers. Any thoughts on Lemon Tetras? Its too bad Congo Tetras get way too big for a 10G...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Anti iwagumi

id go with hengli or espi rasboras, they're basically the same as harlequins but much more colorful (smaller too, and more shrimp friendly) and you probably want to stay away from internal filters because space is precious in a 10g.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:00 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Penguin filters are great. I have two on my 30c. I have had them for 8+ years and they are still going strong

-Chris

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Lemon tetras are too big for a 10g, IMO. I'd go with small tetras, like green neons, or embers... or with small rasbora, microrasbora, or boraras spp.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

So this is the correct 28W light, right?
http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualig...p/res53000.htm

I also remembered a light that some of the reefers on another site used... Cheap T5's (but I can get 6700k):
http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quo...quarium-l.html
If it gets back in stock, I will probably go with that... But is 48W overkill?

Sounds like I will go with some type of Rasbora in the end.

And for filters, I don't think Whispers take up too much space when placed in a corner... HOB still the best to go with?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Anti iwagumi

with 48W you will need co2 and ferts. are you planning to go hi-tech?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Not untill a while, I want to start off small. I just plan on dosing CO2.

I came across the Eclipse System 1 Hood (Filter+Hood+Light). I love the way it looks, and it is only a bit more money that what I would pay for everything else. I know the light would be terrible for most plants, but I was thinking about using the 15W (but change the bulb so it isn't 5000k) for a month or two, and then getting a 32W retrofit later on. Thoughts?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Anti iwagumi

you could do that just fine. i had 15w over a 20 and it was good enough for lowlight plants. just dont add any medium light plants and you'll be fine. look for anubias, crypts, most hygros, moss, and some chain swords. when you get the 32W retro co2 would really help, but you might be able to get away with Excel.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

I read that shrimp don't like Excel, but I may be wrong.

Should I still dose CO2 in with the 15W?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

All planted tanks will benefit from added carbon, so provided your plant choice can handle it, adding CO2, or even a little Excel will definitely improve your tank. But is it necessary? No.

As far as your lighting choice goes, you should choose the coralife. But you need to swap out that 50/50 bulb for a freshwater one, since actinic light is wasted in a planted tank, and it makes everything look blue and unnatural. The other fixture you linked to is too much light for a non-CO2 tank.

And you can definitely use your whisper filter. I think you could cover it up with some tall stem plants. But they really aren't as good as an AC20 would be. Plus you can fill it with whatever media you want, which means less money and more room for DIY if you want, so you aren't as limited.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everybody for the help.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I wouldn't add CO2; I am definatley going to.

Lighting is still the number one thing I need to think about. I know I want to start with low-light plants first, and then eventually move to higher requirements. I think I just may go the Eclipse hood for two months (max) and then get a 32W retrofit, or the 36W from AH supply.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode