Rock question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rock question

I finally started my Fluval Spec V! I went to the pet store today to pick up some rocks and came home with 5 beautiful ones (: They're all the same kind of rock and I was told they would not change my pH at all. I just filled up the tank and I noticed that one rock is giving off this "volcano" of mini bubbles. It's been about 10-15 minutes now. This same rock was also giving off almost a dusty film while I was filling up the tank. Is this just a normal part of submerging some rocks? Such a noob question! Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm guessing a picture of the rock would help get this question answered.

10 gallon bow-front,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
I'm guessing a picture of the rock would help get this question answered.

The one on the far left, it's still bubbling! hahaha

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Algae Grower

Looks like a type of sandstone. Which means, the bubbles are trapped air escaping from the porous holes in the rock. Nothing to worry about.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterstunt View Post
Looks like a type of sandstone. Which means, the bubbles are trapped air escaping from the porous holes in the rock. Nothing to worry about.
I kinda thought that too, but thought it was weird that it only happened with one rock. Thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Did you wash these before putting them in the tank? If its still making a mess remove and scrub thoroughly in the sink or in a bucket or water, rinse and put back in. I've not used them myself but seen other tanks with them before.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode