ADA Mini-M newbie journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Mini-M newbie journal

I have just started the first stage of my first tank since childhood and am going to have a shrimps paradise if all goes according to plan. I have a 27w light and a TOM rapids nano canister filter and amazonia substrate (which seems to be keeping the PH a little low). It is still a little cloudy and I am not sure how to fix that as I have had the filter running for two days now and did an 80% water change today. Any suggestions and feedback would be much appreciated, I have some plants coming soon and will update. How does the scaping look? Any ideas on how to get crystal clear water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Remove the large rock as that makes the tank look smaller than it really is.

The only thing you can do is water changes and let it settle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Actually what I do to get instant clear Amazonian soil is put some in a bowl and run it under tap water to get all the crap and dust out do this 4-5 times for each bowl of it. Keep doing this until you have enough for your tank.

I hope to see another pic of the tank clearer so we can easier comment on the scape.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

James, I took your suggestion and rescaped a little bit, it's cloudy as all hell in there though and I'll have to wait. Can't wait for my plants to get in. Here is the list of plants I'm waiting on.
a large Marimo moss ball
a square of weeping moss
3 square's of christmas moss
3 stalks of cryptocoryne wendtii 'tropica'
plagiomnium affine (which I found out isnt a true aquatic so I will plant it at the waterline on my driftwood)
one windelov fern
a round pellia
and an anubias petite

I'm also planning on setting up a diy c02 setup
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I am waiting to find my camera charger, but I now have a diy co2 set up working, the water is Pretty clear not super clear, a algae problem that seems to be diminishing, 5 sulawesi trumpet snails, 2 otos and shrimp that just came in who seem happy as clams. I almost had a distaster on my hands. At the last minute, I decided I couldnt afford crs and went with some cherries but had ordered blue pearls and realised that I was going to have some mutants on my hands. luckily my vendor was willing to switch out the pearls for some caradina green shrimp! Okay, pretty boring post but I will have pictures up soon. Can't wait to hear some feedback.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Cant wait to see the changes Sounds like your off to a good start.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here are some updates. The first picture is from two weeks ago. The second is from just now. So far so good, found one dead shrimp on day two, but I thought that might have been stress. Also a bit worried about my snails as they are not as active as they were and just lie around most of the time. Also having some issues with the filter, Tom's rapid canister, it was doing fine but cleaned it out a bit and it was leaking, which I got to stop by raising it up a bit, but now I can't seem to keep air out of the canister so it isnt so quiet as it is supposed to be. but yea, the glosso is starting to do well, the mini are putting out new leaves, the crypto is doing the same and the christmas moss seems to be winning its war with the algae on the drift wood. Please let me know what y'all think as I am excited about how things are coming along. Thanks, Adam

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
That looks amazing. Very natural.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
are those sulawesi snails? im not sure but i think they live in higher pH conditions (8.0-8.5) so they may be inactive due to your lower pH.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Chris, yes they are. Is that really bad? I didn't realize they were till after I got them. Can they survive the PH? It reads at 6.4 but I have CO2 so it might be a little higher.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
co2 makes it lower. i would try to find a new home for the snails, they'll thank you
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

everything was going so well.... the snails died shortly after getting the message about passing them somewhere else, after hours of wrestling with my Tom Rapids and calling the company and getting no return call or having anyone answer the phone (!) I am at a loss, no filtration going on, anyone have any rescue suggestions for the rapids canister filter? or a cheap replacement option for the filter? Shrimp seem to be okay, plants are fine, can't get rid of the last few patches of algae...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode