ADA Mini-M: Source - Page 31 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #451 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
oh great secrets of right light intervals and co2 distribution, I shall solve ye mysteries one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I play the dorky pearling photos game too? The tiny bit of riccia I bought from AFA is going nuts in my ADA 45C... (DIY CO2)

post #453 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Craig's pearling is crazy! Good job, man.

X, you'll get pearling. Just add too much CO2, just enough light, heavy breathers and your little guys'll frost themselves to the point that it looks like you just took them out of the freezer. (And don't forget, pearling is not the end-all/be-all of planted tanks. It's just hella cool.)

pimp, those last two shots are beautiful. Is that Mini Riccia?

post #454 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't think that any of you have been able to see the dark portion under the driftwood as my camera can't penetrate the shadows. So today I used an additional lamp to try to shine some light on that portion.

Actually, now that I look at it, it's still dark. Hmmm.

I guess my point is that there's nothing there anyway.
post #455 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm trying to keep my love alive for this tank.

While I'm proud of it and all, at the same time, it's boring the crap outta me.

It obviously needs a trim and that may help with the boredom aspect.

Speaking of which, UG is a very literally a weed in this tank. A little bit snuck in on my Mini Pellia when setting it up and I just spent fifteen minutes pulling out a handful of it from all around. It was growing in the MP and HG. Tons of it. I didn't even get it all out. I don't know what it is with this plant, but it grows like gangbusters for me.
Must be the initials.
post #456 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
UG, this is one of your best tanks ever. well done

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #457 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/96%)
Send a message via AIM to boltp777
beautiful tank one of my favorite minis the riccia pearling is so crazy looking! its like a professional photo that when i first got into planted tanks i use to see riccia pearling pictures but those are the best i have seen so far great job =)

42 gallon hex journal coming soon
post #458 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wouldn't get bored of a tank like that ...
But then you have some amazing tanks, and mine are all poo, so that maybe why.
Keep it up UG. Go game it out or something, keep your mind from rotting.

||
post #459 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
amazing riccia pearling! does riccia tend to pearl more than other plants?
post #460 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
whack it all back and see how it goes... Or do what I did and do 2 complete rescapes in a week.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #461 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I think my favorite thing about watching tanks evolve is seeing the reflection of their creators personality in them.
post #462 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, cl.

Thanks, bolt! But those Riccia shots are from infopimp's. (I took my Riccia out months ago.) I'm sure info says thank you, though.

Thanks, kayen. I think I should define my boredom so as to not seem unappreciative of this tank; I do like it and think it's pretty. What bores me is that this tank is so densely planted, so thick with growth, that I cannot add or subtract to it without uprooting quite a bit of well-established plant systems. The rear of the tank is choked with HG, Mini Java Fern, Glosso, and Bolbitis. It's almost a solid wall of foliage. So I'm unable to really create in this tank now. It's a kid going off to college. I've done my part shaping it, now's it's on it's own. Sure, I pay for it's tuition and spending money (i.e. water changes), but the direction it now goes is it's own.
And I get my ya-yas off on the creative side of this hobby. To me it's an art.

ming, yes, Riccia pearls quite readily. I wouldn't say it pearls more than other plants, it's just that when it does, it's much prettier and more apparent.

Craig, yeah, on a non-workout day this week after work, I'll get elbow-deep in the trimming. I think that will help with my boredom. I'm already thinking of putting a Bronze Crypt where I removed the Special Fern. (And I have off this Wednesday -- I'm maxed out on vacation time (I know, good problem to have) -- so I might do it then.

X, so you're telling me that I'm overgrown and boring... [Insert a winking smiley here to show that I'm kidding; unless you're serious. In which case, insert the red smiley that's burning to indicate whatever it is that that smiley indicates. Profound anger? And then insert another winking smiley to show that I was kidding about the burning smiley as I understand what you were saying. Unless you did mean that I'm overgrown and boring, in which case...aww forget it. The joke got old four smileys ago.]

I played with the ISO on my camera. Bumped it up to 400. Usually I use 100. This made the photos brighter, but as cl mentioned in another thread, it makes them a bit more grainy.
But that doesn't matter today as I wanted to show you that my Special Fern is recovering from the shrimp feast. New leaves are forming and the shrimp seem to be leaving it alone.

Look in the center. That one's untouched.
The ones to it's left and right, however...see what my shrimp did to an eighteen dollar plant?!
They leave them alone in Quasi, though. Dunno why.

She's preggers! If she successfully hatches these things, I'll be the happiest planted tanker ever.
FYI, that stuff she's eating is what the "Jelly Bolt Algae" looks like before it gets big.

No reason. Just because a bubble's on the Lawn Marsh Pennywort. Love this plant. I really do.
post #463 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've decided that I'm going to let the Glosso and Mini Microsword intermingle. I think it looks really good that way. Right now it's still a fifty/fifty split.

I'll keep the Glosso trimmed so as to allow the Mini Microsword to be the dominating carpet plant, but I feel that it will add character to the lawn to have both going.

I think Microsword may just be one of the most beautiful carpet plants.
Of course, it makes you work for it because it grows super slow.

You can't really tell here, but the CBS is on a Narrow Leaf Java Fern.
I put it in last week so as to contrast in shape to the Mini Java Ferns that dominate this 'scape.
I'll be adding more Bolbitis as well.
post #464 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
that mini microsword growth is awesome!

-Chris

post #465 of 766 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
Is that an A-S grade CBS in the above-center?

What's your water parameters in this tank?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode