Plant suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Plant suggestions

Hey,
So I'm new to planted tanks and I've had my first one all set up for about a week now (I have a tank journal in the journal forum).

I wanted some suggestions on the plants, how well you think the the plants I have will work and look under the standard Fluval Edge lighting (7600K LED).

This is what I have from left to right:

- Anubias and Java Moss on a lava rock
- Hygrophyla corymbosa "stricta"
- Dwarf hair grass in the foreground
- Rotala Wallichii
- Moss Ball
- Wisteria
- Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae (micro-sword?)

Also, I wanted to put something very small in there, in the front-center (also right under the light) but I'm not sure what. I'd want it to spread throughout the foreground. Any ideas?

Here's a picture:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hmm...never had a fluval edge, but it would appear the light is rather weak... Considering how leggy your hygrophila plants are, both the corymbosa and the difformis (which is wisteria). I've seen people lay a finnex light on top on the front to help light the whole thing, or perhaps some other low-profile light. I would think some of these plants will struggle without some more light.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in that has experience with these tanks.

For a foreground plant: maybe some crypt parva? That should do ok in low-light. Really slow grower though, particularly in low-tech tanks. The microsword is supposed to do well in low-tech. Might want to break it up a little more though, to help it spread out.

Old tanks, all torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I should clarify first that they were quite leggy when I first introduced them. I've only had them for 5 days, and Im hoping they'll spread out a bit with time. The corners are pretty low-lighted, but I think directly under the light it's pretty bright, at least medium.

I think you're right about the micro-sword. I think my next task will be splitting them up and spreading them around that corner. What if I planted more of them throughout the front and center as well? hm..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
This is general info but good general info.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...php?t=107303#2
Wisteria don't do very well without ferts and especially Potassium.
I have no exp/w the other Hygro but the Wisteria and the other are the faster growing plants in there so watching them would help to determine the light level. Not as good as a reply from someone who has that tank though.
Most plants concentrate on growing roots in the first week.
So after that you should see growth in the wisteria at least.
Parva are listed as a high light plant.
As they eventually will become large, the Hygro should likely be in the back corners or they will block your view of the rest of the tank.

The Rysome(spelling bla) of the Anubia should not be planted. It will grow on the rock. That part looks like a stem going across the bottom of the leaves. Only the roots which hang down from it should be planted if you
want it planted in the sub.
IF that actually is med light the Anubia also would like to be under the shade of any of the taller plants(once they get there).

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Algae Grower

Depends on the fish you planning on sticking in there. Any ideas of what species you have been considering?

5.5 gal tank with one Betta named Sid Fishious
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

See, I'm not really sure actually. I'm housing some red cherry shrimp in there, so nothing that will hurt them (at least not in adult form). I also have some baby red cherrys in there, so I figure I should wait until they grow up to add anything, right? So maybe another 3 weeks. I might as well wait until after Christmas to add any fish just because I'll be leaving it alone for two weeks during the holidays.

But otherwise, what kind of fish would go well in the tank I have?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I am not sure on what your setup consists of (I cant see the picture on my tablet), but the hairgrass will do best with co2. Without co2 it doesn't usually do too well unless you dose other carbon suppliments.

Also, two weeks is a long time to leave a tank alone, at least at the start. I would recommend having someone care for it while you leave. In my experience, algae takes over if you give it a few to many days unchecked.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEiffel View Post
Have you used the AqAdvisor stocking calculator for finding out the best species for your tank size?

aqadvisor.com

The reason I ask about fish, is that some like to eat plants and some just like a lot of plants and some need a lot of swimming space. So you sort of have to figure what you want in the tank before you figure out what plants you should be scaping in there.

5.5 gal tank with one Betta named Sid Fishious
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
I am not sure on what your setup consists of (I cant see the picture on my tablet), but the hairgrass will do best with co2. Without co2 it doesn't usually do too well unless you dose other carbon suppliments.

Also, two weeks is a long time to leave a tank alone, at least at the start. I would recommend having someone care for it while you leave. In my experience, algae takes over if you give it a few to many days unchecked.

I do have a CO2 setup, its in the back-left corner. It's this Fluval Mini Pressurized 20g-CO2 Kit. Basically twice a day I have to open the CO2 valve until the CO2 fills up this chamber which over time disappears (I guess it dissolves in the water?). It's not very efficient, so I am looking for not-too-expensive alternatives.

For the two weeks, I figure the shrimp will be fine munching on invisible tiny things. I'm also going out today to get a timed power-switch that will turn the lighting on and off at specific times of day so my plants will get their normal lighting while I'm gone. The CO2 dosing is a problem I'll need to figure out...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEiffel View Post
Look into the Micro Rasboras, there are a few options out there in that genus. As well as Ember Tetras, CPD's, and Endlers if you want a colony.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchofgreen View Post
Have you used the AqAdvisor stocking calculator for finding out the best species for your tank size?

aqadvisor.com

The reason I ask about fish, is that some like to eat plants and some just like a lot of plants and some need a lot of swimming space. So you sort of have to figure what you want in the tank before you figure out what plants you should be scaping in there.
That was a cool website,
It recommended a lot of shrimp and snails. For fish it seems my best options include pygmy corys, otos, pygmi gouramis, and the scarlet badis. I thought the scarlet badis looked really nice, so I want two of those. Im going out to see if I can find one today. (:
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 02:26 AM
Planted Member

Scarlet bardis generally don't except anything but live feed and they are nasty predators they will go after your shrimplets and sometimes won't even spare an adult shrimp.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushant View Post
Scarlet bardis generally don't except anything but live feed and they are nasty predators they will go after your shrimplets and sometimes won't even spare an adult shrimp.
Adult ones?? But they're so tiny
hmm, I don't want any more new-fish troubles, and the live food would be a pain.
eh. Maybe I'll just wait for the baby shrimp to grow up then try the guppies again?

Tags
advice, plants, question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode