4g nano bowl low tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
4g nano bowl low tech

Hey guys! I have read a lot of posts and blogs on nano bowls and I think they look really cool! Yesterday I found a perfect bubble bowl at TJmax for just $9, so I started this new project. I wanted this tank to be low tech to the bare minimum and see if it can sustain itself without much intervention from me Today, the tank is all ready to go. My ludwigias are bending all over the place but they should be able to straighten up within the next few days. Below are some pictures to share. Comments are welcome!

Plants:
Ludwigia green
Hygrophila corymbosa
Crypt Wendtii Bronze
Will add some Ammania gracilis once I have enough from my other tank

Equipment:
Cosmocote plus for fertilizer
Aquarium black sand
No filter
No heather
No CO2 - I may consider dosing some liquid carbon if I think they need it..
10w CFL light only

Still debating whether I should make it a shrimp only tank or add some super tiny fish. What do you guys think?

Lets hope that the cycling process will go smoothly without any major hiccups! Will update with more pictures later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0166.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	389554  

Name:	DSC_0168.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	389562  

Name:	DSC_0169.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	389570  

Name:	DSC_0171.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	389578  

Name:	DSC_0174.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	389586  

Name:	DSC_0175.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	389594  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice start! I would suggest a shrimp tank as they are much easier and happier in a shrimp bowl. Add some java moss and floating plants too! Shrimps will love it. Good luck with your bowl.

My day is better whenever I buy a new plant.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I thought about adding some moss but I think I want to hold off for now - my other tanks all have moss in them, so i kinda want this one to be a "clean" bubble bowl I may get some floating plants tho!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Man, that's so rad.
I can't find any around here.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy- View Post
Man, that's so rad.
I can't find any around here.
Check your local craft store. I got a 5 gallon bowl (which wasn't so sturdy and I broke it taking it to the sink), and two 3 gallon bowls with nice thick glass that are built to withstand anything.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast from the east View Post
No heather
My wife will be so bummed!

"Hopefully everything doesn't turn out horribly ironic"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish View Post
My wife will be so bummed!
HAHAHA yea sorry man I saw this typo but I was too lazy to change it. Sorry Heather!

|
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Planted Member

I thought that shrimp needed moss?
But your bowl is beautiful just the way it is!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind words!

Here's some update:
I added two neon tetras and one male turquoise guppy in the tank a week ago because I figured I want to cycle with fish. They have been pretty happy in the tank so far! No algae issue yet. *knock on wood* I have been doing weekly 50% water change. The bowl is kinda close to the south window, so only getting my artificial lighting for on average 4 hours per night. Plants are growing super fast as well; even some pearling occasionally without CO2! Will have to do some trim next weekend!
(apologies for the last picture - my camera died so I had to use my cell phone for a fish profile picture lol)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	393690  

Name:	DSC_0017.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	393698  

Name:	DSC_0018.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	393706  

Name:	IMAG1822.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	393714  

|
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That bowl is amazing, and very inspiring! I'll have to head to a craft store now...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Lovely setup.. though the rust coloring on the back of those rocks would make me very hesitant to keep any fauna in a tank with them.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try adding some short plants in the front. Nice tank, the ludwigias look nice and lush .
Post some update pics .

My day is better whenever I buy a new plant.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

5 months update

Hi guys,

Just a quick update on my bubble bowl.
Originally I was trying to just run this bowl as low tech as possible, no filter, no heater, only some artificial light source. Here's a picture of the bowl 2 months in. This bowl obviously survived my winter break for 2 weeks without water changes. The fish in my bowl were fed by Eheim auto feeder and they survived!

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	458978

Then I had a super busy period with my work and barely had any time to sleep. I got lazy and started to change water once every 2 weeks. My bowl obviously had not yet recovered from my 2 weeks of absence and it took a hit. My ludwigias were all gone and I also cultivated the so called green water.

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	458986

Then as a reward to my busy work, I went on another 1 week break. My bowl was just looking miserable upon my arrival, although all my fish were still doing fine. I finally gave in and plugged in a filter.

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	459002

After running the filter and having regular water changes for just 2-3 weeks, here's the final look. I added some java ferns and water sprite from my other tanks. They are doing well. I also recently added 2 corydoras. They are pretty happy with the bowl too. I'm not worried about water quality as much now, since I have a filter that's good for up to 10 gallons for this little bowl and I added a decent amount of fluval biomax in there.

Name:	IMG_0606.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	459010

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	458994

Please excuse the poor picture quality. I will take some nicer pictures once the plants grow in a little more.
Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Will keep this thread updated!

|
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

I love the round fish bowl.the hob filter kind of ruins it. Have you seen that youtube video where the guy takes a hollow plastic rock fish tank ornement, puts some filter media in it, (creates a bottom out of plastic, and uses an air hose to make a filter?a filter like that would work and be totally invisible.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This sounds really intriguing and creative. I'll have to look for that video now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyke View Post
I love the round fish bowl.the hob filter kind of ruins it. Have you seen that youtube video where the guy takes a hollow plastic rock fish tank ornement, puts some filter media in it, (creates a bottom out of plastic, and uses an air hose to make a filter?a filter like that would work and be totally invisible.

Run miles. Drink coffee. Go Hawks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode