mini c02 ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
mini c02 ?

Is there a mini Co2 system that uses those BB gun type co2 cartridges?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
There's one that uses paintball cylinders.

http://www.saltylivestock.com/Red_Se...ll-P47158.html
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
This is the closest I've come to seeing anything with the tiny co2 whippet deals that you are asking about. The CO2 for pellet guns right? This is a knock off of the ADA setup. You can also buy a set of 3 refill bottles for this unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 12-07-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: No ebay links please.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I am having trouble with a diffuser, it collects the pressure but doesn't bubble (diy yeast and sugar) when I remove the airline there is alot of pressure in the line.

Was I suppose to do something to the diffuser before connecting it (soak it or something)?

Thanks for the help
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Diffusers (I'm guessing you're talking about one of those ceramic types?) are not designed for DIY setups. Some people might even make the argument that it can be dangerous, to have that pressure build up in the line like that. Remove the diffuser and save it for when you have a pressurized setup.

In the meantime, just plumb the CO2 line into your filter intake. Or use one of those bells, or ladders, or any other diffuser designed for DIY co2.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

I've got one on another tank that is diy and it works fine. guess I will just place this one in the intake.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
my diy co2 works fine with a diffuser. the only time i burst one was when i tried to twist it off the tube while it was hooked up and pressured
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower

Has anyone used one of these units from EBAY? Are they worthwhile. I am thinking about adding CO2 for my 4 gallon nano, and am pretty sure I do not want to do a DIY.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Louis
i'm curious about that ebay unit too. it seems very cheap? is it the best option for pressurized co2 in a nano tank?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Nope, I would say this is your best option for pressurized co2 in a nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
i'm curious about that ebay unit too. it seems very cheap? is it the best option for pressurized co2 in a nano tank?

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Louis
what is that one? how expensive is it?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
It's one I put together. I would say I have ~$100 invested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
what is that one? how expensive is it?

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Planted Member

it's a 'Thermo' type valve in a painball size CO2 cylinder.

The main reason you can't use paintball cylinders for CO2 with most regulators is because the valve used for a paintball cylinder are different from 'Thermo' type valves, which are the standard for industrial use; and thus the standard for regulators. Believe me, with some ingenuity and a bit of knowledge, it's easy to hook up any pressure bottle to just about any regulator. The only reason there is a market for "Paintball CO2" systems for planted tanks is because the kind of knowledge and the time to rig up your own system is simply not worth it to most hobbyists.

Even with my paintball parts on hand (and I do have quite a bit!) I'd still need to buy a few thread adapters, a remote line ASA and the regulator to make it work.

Simply put: Either buy the RedSea paintball system, or splurge and grab yourself a bottle and a milwaukee regulator. The cost is pretty comperable between the two, as you already have the diffuser.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I went with a 20 lb co2 tank because the cost to refill them vs a smaller co2 tank is not much more. Been running over a year on my 75 gallon planted!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
If you spend just $20 on a SmartParts Inline On/Off you can attach any of the regulators designed for the larger CO2 cylinders to work with paintball CO2 cylinders.

It is pretty straight forward. Attach the inline on/off onto the CO2 bottle, then attach the regulator to the inline on/off.

But I don't think this answers your post though! Now that I've reread the original post...

This will not work for those smaller CO2 canister things you're talking about, only for the paintball cylinders (that come in 14, 20 oz. for example), but could be worthwhile if you want to use paintball cylinders for their size and ease of refilling (it all depends on your own individual circumstances).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode