7gal Shrimp only - "Forgotten Glade" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
7gal Shrimp only - "Forgotten Glade"

Following on from some of the guys on UKAPS, setting a fine example, I've decided to setup my own shrimp only tank. I have re-scaped my 27 litre Aqua 40 "cube", re-using the existing Eco Complete, which I doubt has any nutrients left in it, mainly because it's a dark substrate.

Specs:
27 litre Aqua40 (approx 30cm cube, bow front)
18w retrofitted T5 PC
Eheim Pro 2222 ([email protected])

Flora:
Fissedens Fontanus
Weeping Moss
Java Fern "needle"
P. Helferi
Bolbitis
Staurogyne sp.

Fauna:
Cherry shrimp (arriving soon)

My intention is to dose TPN+ and Easy Carbo. Lighting is from an 18w Interpet PC. I need to change the tube as it's using a "beauty" light which is pretty dull and un-inspiring. I've seen some on Lampspec which might do the trick.

Filtration will be from an Eheim 2222. Little bit under powered I think, but will do a good job for just shrimp

Anyhow, here's how it looks after some final planting and adding some more rock, and generally after more fiddling about yesterday eve:

I have some cherry shrimp arriving on Wednesday thanks to LondonDragon on UKAPS

Last edited by SteveUK; 11-10-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
That's gonna look really cool. Those rocks are soo cool, but most of them are hidden. The ones I'm talking about are the ones sorta behind the downoi, what if it they were forced into a mound where the downoi is currently and the downoi placed in between the rocks. It may need a little more light though. Maybe just add another, different colored bulb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
WOW! I really like this one a lot! It's just, unique! It reminds me of a scene out of a fantasy movie, but I can't put my finger on it...

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The rocks are sorta supposed to be hidden... What I mean is, I was trying to make it look like the root was growing over the rock, splitting it in places, like a big vine in the jungles of malaysia and such

I might attempt to pad out the ones behind the downoi though, problem is I ran out of small rock! I have a few more lumps I might be able to smash up I'm a bit unsure about the slates at the front, but I'm sure it'll look a lot better when the Fissidens fills out.

Shrimp arrive tomorrow! Its very cold in the UK tonight, I just hope they arrive safely.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Shrimp arrived at 12.30pm, and all looked to be healthy, all hiding in the moss my friend had included in the bag (nice looking taiwan moss!) I get them into a plastic container and floated it on top of the aquarium, and acclimitised them for a few hours. I have also swapped the filter over from the Eheim 2213 that was on it to the Eheim pro 2222 which I intend to be the main filter for this tank. The main reason was that I was worried the 2213 had un-cycled seeing as it had been running on the tank with no inhabbitants for a good week or so. The other reason is I plan to use that filter on a slightly larger tank

Anyhow, I almost forgot to cover over the end of the filter intake to prevent shrimplets being sucked into the filter. I used a section of cloth mesh from an old breeding trap I had kicking about. I rolled it over the inlet strainer and tied it off at the bottom. I then tucked the remainder of the mesh at the top and trapped it inplace when I put the strainer back onto the intake tube. Should work a treat

Anyhow, enough blabbering. Here are a few pics

One of the larger shrimps:

My favourite angle. I've added a few more smaller bits of rock behind the P. helferi and under one of the overhanging "roots". Small pieces but I think they've added to it:

And an overall shot:

Too lazy to rotate the photos and crop them :lol:

Just want to say thanks again to LondonDragon for the shrimp. I just have to pay him now
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

this tank looks great, very different from alot of tanks out there i like it. this is going to look amazing once its filled in a bit.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I have to say, I love it! It sure is a great tank!

-Chris

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

cool layout

Current tank:
Decomissioned tanks:

l

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys I really want to rip out that horrible white thread, but I'm going to be patient. It usually blends in after some weeks and is less noticeable...

I've noticed my mosses are starting to grow already, after a 1 1/2 weeks. Really please with this!

Still dosing EasyCarbo and Tropica TPN+ but haven't got a set regime yet. I'll get that sorted soon and then hopefully the tank will take care of itself... Bit of moss trimming here and there, water changes etc
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
looks great! congrats on the shrimps!

I suggest looking for rubberbands (the ouchless ones) for women's hair/ponytails. Try and find black ones, they work perfect. Then when you don't want them anymore, just cut it and it'll snap off w/o being tangled in the moss.

http://www.maxdelivery.com/nkz/exec/...ctId=260063092

- Join today!

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestion

Things seem to be growing reasonably well. Shrimp seem to be happy enough too! New shoots have formed on the P. Helferi and the Stauragyne too. I added some riccia floating, mainly for storage purposes, but the shrimp are loving climbing in it at the moment. I intend to use this in another tank, but haven't gotten to the stage where I can use it yet!

I'll post more pics when it's grown some more
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Algae Grower

Looks awesome. It makes your tank look so much bigger then it really is. This'll look sweet when it grows in more
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've seen one shrimplet today! Tiny little blighter :lol:

I'm getting a few small patches of diatoms on the front glass, and a little GSA too. Also seeing a few small bits of hair algae on the fissidens at the front on the slates. Not much though.

I really need to get a dosing regime down and stick to it! I plan to do a water change tomorrow and have it sorted by then, and then I'll stick to that

I'll try to post some pics too. I've just noticed how much the slates have filled in! Also, the bolbitis seems to be unrolling a few new leaves/shoots too. I think that the floating riccia is blocking out reasonable amount of light, but I think this is working to my advantage, stopping any massive algae outbreaks at this early stage... I'm considering chucking a few of my nerite snails into this tank as additional tank cleaning crew

Fingers crossed eh?
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name picked - "Forgotten Glade"
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Wow man, this is a gorgeous tank. Definately echoing all those 'I cant wait for it to grow in' sentiments.

Loving the driftwood roots and stump.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode