Emersed plants in a nano - possible to have too much light? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Emersed plants in a nano - possible to have too much light?

I've been growing dwarf HC semi-successfully emersed in a nano (3.5 gallon) for about 3 months now. While I've seen some serious progress and growth, after looking at other's emersed setups, I think I could be doing a lot more to speed up growth and spreading. It seems like others have seen substantial growth after only a few weeks.

Here are some questions I have that I as unable to find answers to via other's threads:

1. Is it possible to have too much light? I have gotten a bit over-ambitious and now probably have 70 watts over my emersed nano setup. 3 separate desk lamps, all aimed at different angles/areas. They are on a timer, approximately 9 hours of light each day.

2. Will I have better luck keeping the setup covered or uncovered? I've experimented with both but am fearful of the tank drying out too much if I leave it uncovered for an extended period of time.

3. I use a spray bottle to mist the plants at least one a day. Is this beneficial?

4. If I were to put in a few inches of water and start dosing excel, would I speed up growth?

Any other suggestions in addition to these questions is appreciated! I would love to start putting actual water into this tank soon and move things along. 3+ months of misting and blinding lights is growing old.

46G Bowfront:

Lighting: 78 Watts T5HO (1.7 watts per gallon)

Substrate: 80 lbs Eco-Complete.

--------------------------

5.5 Gallon ADA Nano: Fish need to be restocked.

Plants: Background of Marsilea Minuta, Myrio Simulan and a random Anubia.

Lighting: 13W 6500K Jebo.

Heating: Non-Brand Name 100W 8" glass heater (sounds crazy but great heater)

Substrate: Pond soil from a landscaping store; 1/2 inch of Eco-Complete on top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Are you using Eco?

I would leave it covered. Mist every few days to keep moist, thats it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am using an aquatic clay I found at a local pond/landscape store. It came super-recommended from a staff member, and is touted as being great for plant growth.

Stuff is pretty amazing in comparison to the Eco-Complete I have in my 46 gallon, not to mention about 1/4th the price. However like I said, I'm having some growth/spreading issues with my dwarf HC.

Oh and additionally - I originally was growing the same dwarf HC in a smaller container, solely in Eco-Complete and was seeing SUPER slow growth. The pond clay has certainly been an improvement over this.

46G Bowfront:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Is there any nutrients in this "pond clay"? That may be your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
what size is the grain?
HC doesnt like larger grained substrates.
fertz also help. since the HC is out of water, you dont need to worry about algae.
excel would not help. it is out of the water, and it has plenty of CO2, as much as it would have in its natural environment.
i would keep the humidity high, add some fertz (not dose constantly, just add them in like for a potted plant), and watch it grow.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

nutrients should be in the pond clay. nutrients or not, i've had better luck growing things emersed in it than with the Eco-Complete I was previously using (which is known to be supposedly loaded with good nutrients and bacteria right?)

the grain size is almost like dust - infinitely small and it was great when i planted the plantlets.

46G Bowfront:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode