Shrimp Breeding Grounds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
Shrimp Breeding Grounds

Thought I would share my shrimp tanks with everyone. They are 10 gallon tanks that are on the bottom shelf of a 55 rack next to the computer so I look down into them all the time. It currently has Tigers and RCS but eventually I would like to take the 55 on top that I am using for albino bushynose and move them to a better growout situation and put a couple tall 20s on top with CRS and one other shrimp.

For fun I call the RCS tank Fraggle Rock and the Tiger shrimp tank Panthera; I think both for obvious reasons. They are both lit by a 130w PC light thats 10 inches lifted. There is no CO2 on these tanks. They both started as float tanks for my extra plants and thats why I started with so much substrate in ea. I wanted to not have to dose but have the floating plants still growing a bit. Then I released some shrimp into each tank and they started doing their thing so I decided to somewhat scape the tanks so I could see the shrimpies. I am still not dosing on a regime...I will about once or twice a week throw some potassium in but thats about it. Here's the pics.

Both tanks

Tiger Front

Tiger Top

RCS

RCS Top

Thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Nice tanks. Good growth w/o co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Very nice. How many shrimp are in these tanks?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Nice tanks. Good growth w/o co2
Thanks bsmith, I am very happy with how the plants look with no CO2. I was actually amazed after I got the plants rooted how well they looked. Got lucky with the light level I guess.

Quote:
Very nice. How many shrimp are in these tanks?
Thank you. I have grown to love my shrimp. Because they are a bottom row of tanks I have had to build ways to keep my son out of them. He is the godzilla to the shrimp. Hehe I should make a youtube flic of that.

Hard to say for numbers. They start so small but I would have to say 200 RCS with most of the adults running around berried.

Might have to start doing something with them but we just lost half of are only truly LFS here when it shut down its freshwater stuff and went salt only. That's where my angels and plecos have gone over the years and was hoping to do the same with shrimp but things changed. Oh well, I think starting a fish club and trading and selling them sounds alot more intriguing. Just need to create the buzz here in town.

Oh and back to the question, I would say 100 tigers with once again most adults running around saddled.

I am probablly under guessing on both as I think most shrimp owners do when guessing how many they have.

Thanks for the compliments and please keep the comments coming. Posted a hundred....yeah for me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:12 PM
DementedMindz

dont they climb out or anything with open tops? I have never tried shrimp and was wondering cause I leave mine open.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have never seen any of either of those shrimp outside the tank on the floor so my personal experience says no. I did find an Amano outside my 60 gallon tank one time but I think that was forced from stressfull situations in the water. I think I read somewhere as long as the water conditions are good they won't jump or climb.

Maybe my shrimp know that Shrimpzilla (my son) is on the other side of the glass and they better stay wet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode