10g funscape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g funscape

Just redid my 10g and added some plants. I had it set up with a goldfish but chucked him. Now I have room for another fish(maybe two!).

Plant wise I have:
Hairgrass in front
Java Moss on top of the stones and drift wood
And some type of sword that came attached to a rope circle. It was nifty so I grabbed it lol

Fish wise
1 skunk cory(I am in the proccess of getting more. Probably 3 or 4 pygmy)
1 albino bushy nose pleco, maybe 2 inches
1 angelfish, almost the size of a quarter

What do you guys think? Not bad for my second ever tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141104_231837_1415168429455.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	387530  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think overall the scape looks pretty good! Some taller plant behind the wood/rock on the right would look good, either some more fern or perhaps some vals? Something tall and thin to add a dimension of height.

Hopefully "chucked him" does not imply that you simply flushed or threw out a live, healthy animal...

The plant on the wood rope is actually a java fern, not a sword plant, nice choice though, good plant. Are the little rocks on top to hold the wood down, or the moss down? If you can, tie the moss tightly to the wood or rock (with sewing thread, fishing line, or even use super glue) to hold it on, otherwise whatever is under the rock will just die off and not attach itself.

Hopefully you are aware a 10 gallon is extremely small for all those fish together, let alone a single angel or that pleco. The angel needs a nice tall tank, probably no smaller than a 40 gallon. The pleco will grow big as well. And best to keep multiple corys of the same species, the pigmy ones will school together and leave the bigger one all lonely.

I suppose my main comment is the plants are good, but poor planning with the fish.

I'm not meaning to crush your aspirations here, the tank is off to a good start, but a little more research and planning will do you and the tank/inhabitants some good.

What's the light, filter, heater specs?

Oops, and almost forgot to say as this is your first tank thread, welcome to the forum! Lots of good info on here and some great tanks!

Old tanks, all torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Welcome to TPT! I agree with the above comment on the fish selection, the angel and pleco definitely need to be in a larger tank. But hey, that's a perfect excuse for you to setup your third ever tank, haha.

As far as the layout goes, I think it looks really good and will look even better once those plants grow in and if you add some others. Crypts, vals, and swords could be good plant options to add to that setup.

Last edited by falcooo; 11-05-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: ...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the goldfish I gave to my buddy for his pond. I would never kill anything just because I didn't want it.

As for the Corie's I thought they would all school together. Guess I need better research and to stop talking to the LFS lol

I know eventually the angel and pleco will outgrow the tank but for now they're small. I am getting a 20g from a friend in a couple months so they'll be moved into that. Hopefully by the time they outgrow it I'll have at least a 40g.

As for plants the isn't much room to plant anything behind the right rock. Me and my old lady made this with two 6 inch plastic disks that the rocks and wood are on. I do like the idea though, maybe I'll move some stuff.

I have just two 60watt spiral bulbs. Since I'm not doing CO2 I don't wanna get crazy with lighting lol. I have a little 50watt(?) Heater and I'm adding api leaf zone for the plants.

Thanks for the input guys!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh and I'm running a penguin 100 filter. Probably not for much longer since it keeps making this god awful grinding sound. I've cleaned out the entire thing twice and it hasn't helped.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturevsNurture View Post
Oh and I'm running a penguin 100 filter. Probably not for much longer since it keeps making this god awful grinding sound. I've cleaned out the entire thing twice and it hasn't helped.
That "god awful grinding noise" I know too well. You need to clean out the impeller (image below). It happens when a piece of sand gets caught in it. Incase you do buy a new one though, I recently purchased an AquaClear and love it. Very quite, simple, and way cheaper to maintain in the long run.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks falco, I'll try cleaning the impeller again. Who knows maybe a pressure washer will be able to get out the sand lol kidding. I read about somebody using an AQ impeller on the penguin and it quieted it down. Idk if that would fit or reduce the life of the filter though. Maybe I'll buy a AQ for a larger tank so I can just transfer it over when I upgrade. You can adjust the flow rate of the AQ's right?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea very easily too. You can pick up a AC30 for that tank for around $30. And the filter media doesn't need to be replaced but maybe yearly. So the money you save on those penguin cartridges is well worth it.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
Yea very easily too. You can pick up a AC30 for that tank for around $30. And the filter media doesn't need to be replaced but maybe yearly. So the money you save on those penguin cartridges is well worth it.
You really shouldn't throw away the penguin filter cartidges unless they're falling apart. You can rinse them in used tank water to clean them. I cut a whole in the penguin filter pads and removed the carbon.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
You really shouldn't throw away the penguin filter cartidges unless they're falling apart. You can rinse them in used tank water to clean them. I cut a whole in the penguin filter pads and removed the carbon.
I got my penguin for 10 bucks off amazon. The box was mashed in but everything else was new. Sweet, sweet discounts

Also why'd you remove the carbon westhaven? I know you need it in a newly established tank, so how long after set up did you take it out?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode