1 Gallon Pico aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 Gallon Pico aquarium

I pulled this old 1 gallon top fin corner tank out of my closet today and will be attempting to make a small pico shrimp tank. I made a DIY light reflector for the puny 7 watt incandescant bulb that the kit comes with. I am convinced it nearly doubles the light output to the aquarium. It's probably not the right color for plant growth, but it makes the petrified driftwood I have set up really pop.

The picture makes the light look brighter than it actually is, and it is a little less red than it appears in person.

I hope it is enough light to grow at the very least some kind off moss. I plan to find a tiny piece of spiderwood or small driftwood to put to the left of the rocks to attach some moss too, but I'll have to find some first.

It's only a one gallon so I know It wont hold much but I wonder what your opinions will be about what I could stock in here. I have an RCS tank next to it, and would like some other relatively easy to care for shrimp for this as well. I have a small corner sponge filter on order. I hope it's not too big. There already isn't much room in here to begin with.

I'll post some more pictures when the filter gets here or if i decide to rescape it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-04 15.39.00.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	387346  

Name:	2014-11-04 15.38.49.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	387354  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like it!

You should go for another color neo
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

looks great! You didn't use the under gravel filter that came with it? keep us posted! I have a 0.5 gallon shrimp tank with light only. I was considering getting this top fin product but decided against it because I wanted to give the 0.5 gallon a try.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh definitely not. I used the undergravel filter with this kit once. My betta does as a result. It's pathetic even for ug filter. I've got a jarvin sponge filter in the mail.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DT1...ase_B00DT1XXJW

I'm not versed in sponge filters though so hopefully this will be enough without taking up too much space.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

I have the same tank and have too many Nanos in progress right now for me to set it up so I am going to watch this.

20L~Corydoras and Super Red BN pleco
20L~Planted Tank Low Tech Build
2.5~Low Light Planted Ghost Shrimp
The Fraternity of Dirt #159
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low tech
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to krisvalkyrie Send a message via Yahoo to krisvalkyrie Send a message via Skype™ to krisvalkyrie
Would be fun for endlers and neos.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updates. I got the sponge filter setup and running and am beginning the fishless cycle. Hopefully this will work alright without a heater. There is barely much room left as it is, and my house can get a little cold during the winter. We shall see.

Still haven't gotten any plants yet. Will probably go out this weekend to find some, hopefully. I had to rig the filter to accept an airstone (the noise from the regular bubbles made coming out of the top of the lift tube was obnoxiously loud, let along for a bedroom). The filter had two stacking cages that made up the support column in the middle. I had to tear out the central air pipes in each and fit airline tubing and an airstone at the end to make small (quiet) bubbles. We'll see how that works.

Hopefully I will get to post some pictures of the new scape tomorrow. I found a decently sized piece of spiderwood that I can use in my next tank and had enough small branches that I could break some off for this tiny thing.

On another note, does anyone know if a couple male endlers would be fine in my other shrimp tank to deal with the overflowing copepod population?

Stay tuned for more pictures and updates.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New update. Turns out the light bulb for this tank is so hot that it is making the water temp soar to the middle 80s during the day, but it goes down to about 68 at night. There's not enough room for a heater, and I worry about trying to heat a tank this small, so i'm going to scrap it for the time being and instead go out and get something like a 2.5 gallon. Something still small so that it fits on the shelf, but not too small that I can't fit a heater/filter/decor in it.

I'll post further updates when that happens. Here is a pick of how it was going to look. I think I will try to get it to look similar, but there should be plenty more space in the new tank.

The only problem with that is, I will need a light. Anyone have any recommendations for good lights for small tanks?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

I got my 2.5 from world market for 14$. It was in the kitchen accessories area an came with a metal lid. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415472326.638773.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	388922

~Travis
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just picked this up at feeders supply. Still need to get a heater. And yes I know, it's very cloudy. I blame the sand and the rocks. Hopefully the bubbles will dissipate soon.

I also need to find a light. Does anyone know of any good plant growing lights for a tank this small? its only 12L x 8H x 6W.

The plants in the background are from my other shrimp tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-08 16.52.44.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	389042  

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Algae Grower

I use a desk lamp with a flexible neck and a GE 13 watt mini spiral cfl bulb that's rated for 6500k. Seems to be working nicely. I learned this from here I believe. Working great so far.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

this is making me want to start a 1 gallon too lol
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy- View Post
this is making me want to start a 1 gallon too lol
You should. This has been quite fun once I binned the cheapo top fin tank. That one is just too small and not really easy to work with. The 2.5 gallon I got is working much better now. I also had to scrap the sand I had in here originally. I held on to air bubbles. I think as the cycled started, with the high heat from the incandescent light, it made it stink like death. I have some black flourite in there now and will start cycling it soon.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update.

Got the new gravel in, black flourite. I think it looks much better than the sand, and hopefully it wont trap air bubbles or smell awful like the sand did. Also did a redesign on the 'scape. I think it looks much better now. I've been wanting to play with two tone gravel desings for a while. Thought this would be a nice experiment. I like the look of a little river/walking-path-type-thing going down the middle. What do you guys thing.

I'm planning to get some christmas moss or willow moss to put on the branches, when aquariumplants gets either back in stock. I also plan to put some anubias petite in there near the "river". I would like to put a Crypt Parva in the right back corner and some cyperus helferi in there too.

I would like to attempt baby tears, but I don't want to do co2 on this tank, and i'm not sure that a desk lamp/cfl will be high enough light for it to flourish.

The sponge filter will be in the back left for those who are wondering. It's currently cycling in my other shrimp tank.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-12 19.16.22.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	390938  

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright then, first update in a while.

I tried to go cheap on this tank and purchase a desk lamp with daylight cfl bulbs, but the desk lamp I found didn't work very well for the location. It bled light into the other tank next to and made the room very bright in general. I didn't like it. So I decided to stop being so cheap and bought the finnex planted+ clip light. That came in today.

I was kinda hoping for a medium light tank that wouldn't be a whole lot of work. I even bought the plants for it. They should get here tuesday. I ordered
1x potted dwarf hair grass
1x weeping moss on a mesh plate (that i will hopefully be able to pull of and superglue to the branches [not in the tank at the moment])
2x stems of ludwigia repens that I can cut and put in the corners.
1x flame moss for in between the rocks
1x potted dwarf baby tears.

I got these from alpha pro breeders for a decent price.

I think the baby tears might have been a bit of a gamble since I wanted a medium light/low-medium tech tank, but i figued I would give it a shot.

But now that i've got this light set up. It looks really bright. I think the HC would do well, but now i've got the issue of co2. I really didn't want to do co2 in this tank, since I wanted to go low tech, plus I plan to stock it with shrimp and I don't want to cause issues with overdosing the co2.

What are your thoughts? Does this light equate to a high light system? Will I need co2? I don't know the PAR, but if anyone has had the planted+ clip light, is this going to be too much light for a non-co2 system? Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

Also when should I start dosing the fertilizers once I get the plants in? I know I should give them some time to acclimate, but about how long?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-16 16.59.45.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	392514  

Tags
nano gallon, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode