My 1g Nano RCS tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My 1g Nano RCS tank

Hey guys I got my wife's old little 1 gallon corner tank set up tonight for RCS only. I really hope it works. I'm not sure if the stones I have for substrate are too big or not but we'll see.

I took water and Java Moss from my 55g and put it in the 1g. I have an air stone going and will monitor parameters. How would you go about water changes?

Will this tank be cycled since I used established tank water and plants?

For light I'm just having the little lamp above the tank until I get a new little bulb for the hood. I have some very minor sunlight filling the room.

Hopefully getting some shrimp next weekend if everything goes right!

Finnex 36" Planted Plus 24/7 SE for sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
I would expect to see some cycling over the next week or two. A lot of that beneficial bacteria and other good stuff establishes itself in the substrate and filter media.

As for the water changes I've never had a tank this small I would watch params IMHO until you get a feel for the tank size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree with drewsuf82, I would wait for a few weeks for the tank to cycle. Getting the water and plants from an established tank only speeds up the process but doesn't mean that the tank doesn't need to be cycled. Using some fast growing plants can also help you with water parameters - I can get away with weekly water changes of my 0.5 gallon RCS tank because the plants in that tiny tank are all fast growing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode