Score! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Score!

I found my most favorite fish in the world! Its the Neon Rainbowfish or Melanotaenia praecox. I went to a LFS to check out their plants and they had some. I bought 1 male and 2 females. So, the betta has been temporarily moved to a small tank and the three rainbows are now in my 5g. They are still juveniles so their colors aren't in yet. But, they won't be able to stay in the 5g for long. Now I have to get a larger tank for them. Not that that is such a hardship. LOL So, I'm going to set up another planted nano (10g) for the Rainbowfish then move Fred the Betta back into his 5g tanks.

BTW, I did pick up a container of micro swords too.

*goes off to think about lights for the 10g*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quick update. I posted to the local freecycle groups that I need a 10g aquarium. With or without lights fixture and filter. I've already had 2 responses just since late last night. 1 complete tank with fish and one tank only. Does that put me in the "crazy people who spend way too much money on fancy water holders and dirt" or the category of "semi-crazy people who spend a little too much money on fancy water holders and dirt"? LOL
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Wal-Mart sells 10gal bare glass tanks for $9.99.

- Brad

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I agree those Rainbowfish are great fish, there's just something special about fish w/ blue coloring. I do really like the Rainbowfish.

However, even the Dwarf Rainbowfish are speedy runners. They really prefer a tank that has some length to it so they can charge around. Even a 10 gallon is much too small for them. Minimum tank size I would put them in is one w/ 30" length, like a 29g (30"L x 12"W x 18"H) or a 20g long (30"L x 12"W x 12H"). The initial investment for either of those is not really that much more than a 10g. If you're already looking for another tank to better house them, don't waste your money purchasing the wrong size, do it right from the get-go.

Rainbowfish are also group fish, like corydora cats and tetras, get at least 6, 8 is even better.

My two favorite resources for Rainbows on the web:
http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Contents.htm

and

http://bowheads.org/forums/index.php
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think it puts you in the semi-crazy category. Fully-crazy people usually are too crazy to do water changes.

(Personal experience talking here.)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Rod. The apartment we are currently living in has restrictions for aquariums. 10 gallon is the limit. <sigh> But when our lease runs out, we are moving to another place. The rainbows should do well in a 10 for a short while longer since they are still juveniles. HOWEVER, I did score a 55 gallon tank today on Freecycle. In the time between now and when we move in a couple of months, I can collect a stand, hood, filter, etc. Then I can set my babies up right...and get them some friends. <huge grin>

*runs off to make a list of equipment to set up the 55g*
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Lucky you. My Freecycle isn't as giving with respect to aquariums.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Lucky you. My Freecycle isn't as giving with respect to aquariums.

You might try posting a "wanted" on your Freecycle. Also, do a bit of checking. There are other groups through yahoo that do the same as Freecycle. You might get lucky.

Gina

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode