My 5.5 gal is ready for your critical eye... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 5.5 gal is ready for your critical eye...

I decided that it will be the future home of one Dwarf Puffer. I have wanted one for far too long and my LFS has a whole bunch that I can be picky over. I've spent the last two weeks figuring things out, they must have thought I was moving into the shop I was there so often. My husband calls me crazy to obsess over a tank that doesn't even have a fish in it but he doesn't understand! It's an addiction.

I have a few Anubias plants in there tied to driftwood and to the rock cave. I think those are my favorite plant so far, I like how different the leaf shapes are. Everything else, forgive me, but I am a newbie when it comes to remembering plant names and I bought stuff that looked pretty. I figure, if it melts away and dies, I have more room to try again and won't be too upset. I know there is a java fern in there and one of those morimo moss balls that was in there originally. The tank was originally a friend's who had an african dwarf frog in it but she upgraded and I got the tank and stuff.

Anyway, here is the tank...hopefully you won't be too harsh on a new aqua-gardener. Pictures are a bit dark, as it's night here right now. If there is something I should fix, let me know!

It's been cycling the water for about 3 full months now. My friend had a dwarf frog in there but then wanted more frogs so she upgraded to a bigger tank and I got this one with the two Anubias plants tied to driftwood. The rest of the plants have been slowly added over time. Water tests clear it for use, I just am waiting for the new heater. The old one sucks and I have a new temp adjustable one on its way. I also replaced the old Tetra Whisper 10i that took up like a quarter of the inside tank space with an Aquaclear 20. That thing is amazing! It cleared the soil haze in two hours to crystal clear water.

I am also on the hunt for a good LED light that will fit the tiny tank. I am getting a new glass canopy in a few days so I can get some better light in there too. I think that's all for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice tank...your puffer will be in puffer heaven. Looking forward to pics....I want a puffer for Christmas
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I really like it. And the more it grows in and gives that overgrown jungle look, it will look even better. Good Job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 AM
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks great. Love the balance and the contours of the drift wood pieces.

My suggestion on LED is the Finnex FugeRay 16". Should fit your 5.5G just as it fits mine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchofgreen View Post
I am also on the hunt for a good LED light that will fit the tiny tank. I am getting a new glass canopy in a few days so I can get some better light in there too. I think that's all for now.
What are the dimensions of the tank? The Finnex Planted+ could be a good option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
What are the dimensions of the tank? The Finnex Planted+ could be a good option.
It's 16in long, 8in deep...pretty standard 5.5 gal from a petsmart (I think that's where she bought it?)

Finnex sound awesome but they don't come cheap. I am not too sure about just using the desklamp and the tiny LED light the cheap plastic Tetra hood came with for a light source either. Are there any clamp ons I should look for?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 AM
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
PAR might be a little too strong on the Planted+. I'd suggest the FugeRay, but either would work. Just gotta be a little more careful about algae with the P+.

FugeRay is like fifty bucks on Amazon.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDR View Post
PAR might be a little too strong on the Planted+. I'd suggest the FugeRay, but either would work. Just gotta be a little more careful about algae with the P+.

FugeRay is like fifty bucks on Amazon.
Good point! Especially if that tank is only 8 inches deep, plus substrate. That'd be some very high light.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Algae Grower

Nice tank! Finnex does make clip on lights - I have their planted+ clip on light and so far I'm pretty happy with it for my low-medium light plants. It's only $40 too.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugzboltz View Post
Nice tank! Finnex does make clip on lights - I have their planted+ clip on light and so far I'm pretty happy with it for my low-medium light plants. It's only $40 too.
40 seems reasonable...I may get one next paycheck. For now, the desk lamp seems to be sufficing, but I want to go LED for sure. I've seen some people using LED desk lamps but those are half or almost the cost of just getting the Finnex clip on. If I am going to spend 20 dollars for a desk lamp, I might as well just spend 20 more to get the one that I am pretty sure won't murder the plants. I'v grown quite attached to those Anubias...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Finnex has the new stingray light. Look at that one. The planted plus clip on would be good as suggested just don't get the standard light. Way to much par unless you want med to high light. I like the tank. I am actually thinking of doing something similar low tech and a puffer for my gf. She loves those little guys.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh...there is a Finnex FugeRay Ultra Slim LED up on CL for 25 bucks near me. I may have to check this out, might be able to talk them down to taking an easy 20 dollar bill. Lucky day!

Edit - Yay! Talked to the husband and we are picking that light up on Saturday from the owner. I love getting a good deal

Last edited by touchofgreen; 11-04-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: update of info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode