1/2 Gallon Pico Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
1/2 Gallon Pico Cube

I'm going to spoil the surprise and let you know how big this tank is... boo

I'm going for the look of a big tank in a small package. Once the emersed growth is done i have a 7.5 watt hydor flat heater that will go in there so i can keep a croaking gourami.

Flame moss, dwarf hairgrass, elatine triandria.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

Emmersed growth is the way too go!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
i wouldnt subject any fish to that small "tank"... some shrimp maybe, but no fish.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
i wouldnt subject any fish to that small "tank"... some shrimp maybe, but no fish.
I agree, croaking gouramis are small, but not small enough for this tank.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Where did you get that tank?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I don't think the Moss will grow emersed...

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:40 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
I don't think the Moss will grow emersed...
Of course the moss will grow emersed, It will just look a lot different than it will in the submersed stage.
I agree on the fish thing, 1/2 liter is very small

-Chris

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

moss is already growing emersed... straight up as flame moss should.
it's 1/2 gallon, a liter is NOT even close to a gallon, nice try though.
It's a marina 1/2 gallon cube betta tank. it's made to fit with their line of decorations/betta products.
when i consider what fish fits in what tank... or "tank" i go through a simple list...
1. how big will the fish get.
after working at pet store for a very long time, i've never seen a croaking gourami get big enough to even scoff at a tank this size.
2. can a fish survive in the tank in the long run
considering gourami's have a labyrinth organ the lack of surface agitation from no filter (ignoring the O2 output from the plants) shouldn't be a problem. Also a heater to keep the water at a CONSISTENT tropical temperature was also taken into consideration.
3. How hard will the maintenance be to keep a fish healthy in this tank.
it's a 1/2 gallon tank, i could do water changes until the cows come home.

As far as i'm concerned, this fish will live in better conditions than 99% of the people that come into my pet store and purchase fish. The last thing i need is a lecture, don't let 1400 posts go to your head.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0205 View Post
it's 1/2 gallon, a liter is NOT even close to a gallon, nice try though.
It's still *way* too small...

Quote:
when i consider what fish fits in what tank... or "tank" i go through a simple list...
1. how big will the fish get.
after working at pet store for a very long time, i've never seen a croaking gourami get big enough to even scoff at a tank this size.
considering gourami's have a labyrinth organ the lack of surface agitation from no filter (ignoring the O2 output from the plants) shouldn't be a problem. Also a heater to keep the water at a CONSISTENT tropical temperature was also taken into consideration.
3. How hard will the maintenance be to keep a fish healthy in this tank.
it's a 1/2 gallon tank, i could do water changes until the cows come home.
Two other questions worth considering are
  1. Will the fish be happy in the tank or merely surviving?
  2. Does my tank at least halfways resemble the fish's natural habitat? A rice paddy or pool may be tiny, but they still have swimming space and thousands of gallons of water.
Quote:
As far as i'm concerned, this fish will live in better conditions than 99% of the people that come into my pet store and purchase fish. The last thing i need is a lecture, don't let 1400 posts go to your head.
That, unfortunately, doesn't mean anything at all. I don't understand why you are being so defensive. You asked for feedback and you got it. If four out of seven people comment on the fish issue, maybe there is some truth to it.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

You do realize that the bag you bring your fish home in will likely have more water in it than this tank will hold?...

I don't have 1400 posts but I think I'd stick to snails or a shrimp or two.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
1/2 gallon, get some shrimp
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
That's what people say about Bettas, and they keep them in bowls.

Assuming this is the Croaking Gourami's natural habitat (a rice paddy in Thailand):

Do you think they'd want to live in a 1/2 gallon tank???

It may be shallow, but it has lots of area to swim around in.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

while it may be true that i asked for feedback on this nano tank. It is posted in the nano tank forum, on a website called plantedtank.net. There is no fish in it yet, and i didn't post a question asking about a fish in the "fish" forum. I guess i'm getting defensive because i hate when topics get hijacked away from the poster's original intention. This tank has a good amount of growing to do before i fill it. Please let me know what you think of the scape/plant choice/etc. I guess i know your opinions on fish/shrimp.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't really consider it a hijack since it was honest feedback on your plans, but fair enough I guess.

From what I can tell from a top down shot it looks like it could be a cool little nano. A full tank shot from the front would be helpful in actually seeing the layout.

The only other thought may be that your small diameter wood might be somewhat short lived and need replaced periodically.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
while it may be true that i asked for feedback on this nano tank. It is posted in the nano tank forum, on a website called plantedtank.net. There is no fish in it yet, and i didn't post a question asking about a fish in the "fish" forum. I guess i'm getting defensive because i hate when topics get hijacked away from the poster's original intention.
In all fairness, you didn't ask anything in your first post of this thread. Therefore, it was assumed that you were looking for feedback of any kind... and you got it. And it was all rather unanimous, too, so you should try not to get so defensive if you can help it.

That being said, I think you should post something other than a top-down shot in order to give a better perspective on what you're planning here. It sounds like a cool nano, minus the fish of course, but it would be helpful to see a nice front view.

Best of luck to you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode