What kind of light for 5 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of light for 5 gallon tank

I have a FluvalChi 5 gallon tank and I want to start a planted tank with it. The light it that comes with it doesn't feel like it's strong enough so I want to get a different one, but idk how big of a light I should get or how strong? Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of just getting a carpeting plant if that helps. If you guys can tell me some brands, that would help too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
The Finnex Stingray might work. It's low/medium light, so you wouldn't need pressurised CO2, but it looks very nice on the tank.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hello AzerNavarro, I'm glad to see there is another user with a Fluval Chi. I have one myself as my only current tank. I also struggled with the light at first so I decided to go with the "Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight including 3U Blue White Bulb & Moonlight LED". You can search that up on Amazon. It has worked excellent with me. The lamp can fit standard bulbs, and the bulb it comes with is a 26W monster that plants love. You just need to make sure you set the light to 6-8 hrs a day because it can be a lot of light for a 5gal tank. I would like it if you posted pictures, if you have a separate journal thread, please provide the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
If you want to save $ get a 6500k CFL bulb at a local hardware or grocery store (cheaper than buying "plant grow" advertized bubs) and a goose-neck or adjustable desk lamp, or a clamp on work lamp. I have one over my 7g cube works great (work lamp on a chain for adjustability).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Finnex Stingray

16" Finnex Stingray will work great. ~$30
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The question is what type of plants you want to grow. If you want to grow easy low light plants like anubias, java ferns, anacharis, etc then buy a stingray or fugeray. If you want to grow pretty much anything in your tank then buy a planted+ but be prepared to step up your equipment.

Two things happen when buying a the light for any tank.

(1) you either get one that is too weak and end up buying another fixture or replacing the one you originally got with a higher light one OR

(2) you buy a stronger light and increase the height of the light to get the lower light intensity. In the future if you decide you want to grow more types of plants you simply lower the light to get more PAR and update your equipment.

I would always go for getting a stronger light if the budget permits since raising the lights just a couple of inches to get a lower PAR is easier to do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode