Trying to decide on fish for 5.5 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Trying to decide on fish for 5.5 gallon

I'm setting up a 5.5 gal nano tank and am trying to figure out what inhabitants should be in it. I'd like to get some shrimp at some point but am focusing on fish for now. I think I've narrowed it down to either

3-4 scarlet badis badis (dario dario, most likely all male) or
6 ember tetras

I'd like fish that were active, didn't hide and used the whole tank. I think the tetras would be best but I'm not sure if a 5.5 is big enough for a healthy school of them. The darios look really cool and people have said they are a fun fish to have. Does anyone have any thoughts? Also what about the amounts, are mine OK?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Scarlet badis,Clown killies, Chili rasboras, Phoenix rasboras, weitzmani tetras
i love them all
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
anything that stays under 1 inch would make use of a 5.5(boraras sp, embers, cpds) why not get a 10gallon? 5.5 dimensions are pretty bad. 16 x 8 isnt fun planting in

just a thought

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
http://www.freewebs.com/nanofishlist/suitability.html

the website is work in progress, but this page is done. (well, progress has stalled, but thats not the point)

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've already setup a 5.5 gallon. That size works better for where I want it.

Thanks for the nano fish list. That is organized nicely. But, dario dario are in the 10 gallon range. I thought they could be kept in 5.5? Oh well I guess I'll look into some other options. I know that the 1 inch per gallon doesn't hold for a small tank, so are there any guidelines for the quantity of fish? What people do seems to vary widely and I can't get any sort of consistent numbers.

Thanks,
Chris
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
i currently have a couple clown killies, cpds, 1 female dario dario (male just died ), crs, and rcs in my 5.5
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
For small tanks, I like keeping guppy fry (guppy "parents" reside in my daughter's tank). When they are young, they mostly look the same. Also, when they are young, they tend to wander all over in search of food- unlike mature guppies which prefer to dwell near the surface.

Another fish I like is the Eastern Blacknosed Dace- a common native fish found in streams and creeks along the MidAtlantic states (USA, of course). They absolutely thrive in an aquarium environment. They are lively, smart, full of personality, quite cute, and swim all over-never at rest! They also form loose schools in groups of 4 or more. It's hard to hurt these fish- they can survive in heavily CO2 saturated water, polluted water, turbid water, and extreme temperatures (both ends) without any signs of distress whatsoever. Another added benefit to aquariasts is that they relish algea in almost every form. A hard-to-beat fish IMO, and very, very underrated.

Dace Illustration

Dace Information

Dace pic
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
hmm that list says 7 gallons for a dwarf puffer but i heard they only need 3 gallons per puffer. Also says that neon tetras in a 5 gallon but when i asked people in the fish section of the forum they say a 5.5 is too small for neon tetras. can someone clear this up for me?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 01:29 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
ive seen neon tetras 2" so i guess there kinda big lol. i like the embers in smaller tanks, small fish and cheap!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongoo View Post
hmm that list says 7 gallons for a dwarf puffer but i heard they only need 3 gallons per puffer. Also says that neon tetras in a 5 gallon but when i asked people in the fish section of the forum they say a 5.5 is too small for neon tetras. can someone clear this up for me?
There are many issues to take into account when selecting a general size tank necessity for a fish. For example, neon tetras should be kept in a school, and a 5.5 is too small for a school of neons. They're also often very delicate fish due to hormone use. Dwarf puffers can be kept in less than 7 gallons, but they are messy eaters and would require frequent water changes, and they are also somewhat territorial. It's really a matter of researching each species individually, and you can't address all areas of concern with just an "X number of gallons" tag.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I've changed from my original fish selection and I think I'm going to go for 5-6 Chili or Phoenix Rasboras. Leaning more toward the Chili. Now I just need to find them.

-Chris
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so things have changed once again. I was at my fish store over the weekend and they had this rimless 10 gallon glass aquarium that was to good to pass up. So, I've moved the plants and everything else to the 10g now. Chris127, was right I needed to upgrade. I'm thinking a couple ottos, 2-3 scarlet badis and something for the upper regions either 6+ ember tetras, 6+ chili rasboras or 6 clown killis. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? I think I would prefer rasboras or killis but they are hard to find locally and shipping for 6 small fish doesn't seem worthwhile.

Thanks,
Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode