My 2.5 gal ATTAKGARDEN! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 2.5 gal ATTAKGARDEN!

Alllright. So this is my second attempt at a planted tank. My first tank was a 10 gal that I did with little research. This time around is different. I want to grow glosso and or HC the emmersed way. So they are grown and everything before i fill it up with water. Then i would like to put some kind of lite colored moss on the driftwood. any suggestions? As for a light its a 10w 5100k bulb. and Im not sure if i want diy co2 or not....i think ill just see how my tank grows without it and go from there.

Now some questions:
1. I am going to use florite. Is this a good idea? or should i have a combo of sand and florite?

2. I am never good at hardscapes, but these are 2 that i like

or

Sorry for the poo poo quality pictures.

Any suggestions would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 AM

I really like the first position for the driftwood.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i like the hardscape the second way, i think it adds more flow that way. the hc or glosso sound like a nice idea, but you will need quite a bit more light then what you have already. 10W isnt alot of light really, maybe look for a 13W to put over the tank too. i would want to add a taller background plant behind the wood as well. maybe somehting like a nice red rotala? all in all sounds like this could be nice.

oh and as for a moss you could try weeping or christmas moss.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tied at one a peice. haha

Yeah I thought 10w was a little lacking for glosso. So 20w-25w is a good amount?

As for the backround plant red rotala is a great choice, but kinda want to keep this a green tank.....or maybe it'll look good behind the drift wood as you wouldnt see it right away, but it'll still add a nice color.

Oooooo. Both christmas moss and weeping moss look good. I think that'll depend on what i can find first haha.

Ill prob put in some RCS when everything grows out and looks greeen.

Thanks for the replies
Keep em' comming!
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

ya 20-25W maybe even towards the 30W range to keep hc or glosso carpeting.

and a nice red behind the wood would maybe blend in, maybe a more subdued red. i think every tank needs a little red in it. lol
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
A single 13-16 watt spiral fluorescent bulb would be sufficient to grow HC in a 2.5 gallon tank. HC is not a light demanding plant, I'm growing a nice carpet of it in a 10 gallon with two 13 watt spiral bulbs now, and it grows quickly, and right along the substrate. Be careful what advice you take from forums, not everyone speaks from experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
from my own experience I have been able to grow HC with 24w CF over a 2.5g. I have not been able to grow it with 12w or 15w spiral screw in. You may first want to grow it emmersed then slowly fill it with water over the corse of a few weeks after it is grown in.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

I had trouble growing glosso in a 2.5 gal with 13W of CF lighting. You might want to up the watts to get a good result.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright well ill see how my glosso grows (if i can ever find any!) with the 10w, and if it is crappy, then i will get a bigger wattage bulb.

Everyone reccomends zoomed 501 for nano tanks, but i ask why? Isnt it for a 30 gal tank? That seems like overkill to me. But then again planted tanks are demanding so ill have to see.

All i need is to find some glosso to get this tank rolling. So if you have any let me know!

oh and vote on which placement of the sticks you like more!
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does anyone have any history with buying plants with this company?

http://store.aquaticplantdepot.com/bunchedplants.html
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
They are local to me, so I shop there frequently. They are completely fantastic to deal with, and I highly recommend them for friendliness, quality, and price. But the one thing I cannot vouch for is their mailorder procedures, because I just pick my plants up from them onsite. I've seen the way they pack plants for mailorder, though, and it was very professional.
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

haha ok cool. i think I am gonna buy glosso from them. Since no one on here seems to have any haha. But Im not sure how much I get. haha cause its like .57 cents for one...one pack? one stem? one leaf? haha we'll just have to see I guess.
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They're sold in bunches, just like common bunch plants found at your lfs.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahcrx View Post
haha ok cool. i think I am gonna buy glosso from them. Since no one on here seems to have any haha. But Im not sure how much I get. haha cause its like .57 cents for one...one pack? one stem? one leaf? haha we'll just have to see I guess.
Haha.

I can vouch for their mailorder quality. Good store.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't know much about glosso, but I wanted to vote for the wood being the second way. I agree it adds more flow, and to me more depth to the tank.

As for filtration, I've never used the Zoomed 501 (i think that's the mini canister?) but when I was looking for filtration for my 5g i looked into that one and asked about it on this forum, the consensus I got was that some people love it and some people thought it was terrible, I got more consistantly good reviews of the Red Sea nano HOB filter (or the Azoo palm...i think they're the same thing bascially) But if you'd prefer a canister type filter, the one comment that was pretty consistant was that while it's rate for 30g, most people said they didn't think it was enough filtration for more than a 5 or 10g on it's own, so it's probably not as much overkill as it seems to be But again, the only one I have experience with his the mini HOB and i really like it.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode