3 Gallon planted HOB setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
3 Gallon planted HOB setup

I've setup yet another tank, but only because my last one was destroyed. We had to move so allot of my supplies are still in boxes.

For this setup I used my converted reef tank as a freshwater setup.

From this:
[IMG][/IMG]

to this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Inhabitants include the lone surviving offspring of my mated CPD pair and a bunch of Ramshorn snails.

I bought an Aquatop 3D HOB filter

My Betta from my pond inhabited it temporarily while I re-setup his pond.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

More updates coming soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Salty side of things

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's the plants in hob?

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Penny Wort (grows well immersed) some clippings off a Wandering Jew plant (i.e. Zebrina pendula) and some other house plant clipping.

The Salty side of things

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Weekend update: Pico planted tank

Good Morning everyone!

I'm so glad to have woken up to rain! California sure does need it, plus rainy days are my favorite

The pictures from my 1st post were when I just set up the tank. That was probably 2 months ago. Now I have current pics and the tank has really grown!

The tank now sits on my desk. Makes for a nice little distraction.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see the plants in the filter have really taken off!

I'll try to list what I have in the filter:

-Hydrocotyle leucocephala
-Tradescantia zebrina
-Euphorbia tirrucalli
-some other house plant I have no name for...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Snails and my lonely CPD are the current residents of this tank. The Betta was moved back to the pond now that its been all setup after the move.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The plants have exploded since I took these pictures a week ago, and I'll be adding a few more plants by tomorrow. Stay tuned for more updates!

The Salty side of things

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow! I love this tank. It is very fun to look at and the plants in the filter add a lot of grace to it. The plant colors are also very good. Bright greens and red tones. Love it.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank video

I almost forgot, but I did a video for this tank.

check it out here ==>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0J4psTROXw

The Salty side of things

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Lovely setup, happy to see more people planting HOBs, ripariums ftw!!!
If it's not gotten there yet be mindful of the wondering jew (Tradescantia zebrina) as it grow its stem is not strong enough to stabilize it and it will sag, may end up under water if you don't trim it and the leaves can't be submerged (melt real fast). My wondering jew grew faster than my pothos and all other house plants converted for riparium growth.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What light/CO2 setup are you running?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Beautiful setup, love the plants in the filter as well.

p.s. snail's shell looks like it has a lot of erosion, should prob take him out before he dies and pollutes the water!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gametheory View Post
Beautiful setup, love the plants in the filter as well.

p.s. snail's shell looks like it has a lot of erosion, should prob take him out before he dies and pollutes the water!
I was actually thinking the same thing too 6 months ago but he's actually gaining back calcium growth. he just kinda looks a mess compared to the others

The Salty side of things

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Skinny View Post
What light/CO2 setup are you running?
Light: Finnex Fugeray II

CO2: AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini with a Spyder paint 20oz ball tank

The Salty side of things

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
question for you, that looks like a Marineland Contour, why did you put in a HOB filter instead of using the built in overflow/sump? Just curious

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

took out back chamber, hated it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharko View Post
question for you, that looks like a Marineland Contour, why did you put in a HOB filter instead of using the built in overflow/sump? Just curious
Hi sharko,

yes this is the Marineland Contour. I pulled the back wall out due to coraline growth because I had this set up as a reef before. I really didn't like the chamber design for this tank so I was glad to be rid of it. Now there's so much more room for growth! Plus the HOB filter is soooo much easier to clean than the previous back chamber set up.

I hope this hope this helps

The Salty side of things

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 03:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)
Nice looking hydrocotyle. Are you going to keep it trimmed back or let it take over the whole front?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love the plants in the filter...want to do that myself but I have a rather destructive cat who would probably eat the plants. He already tries to play with the water when I tried to leave it uncovered. I just know I would come home and find the plants on the floor half chewed and a puddle around the tank because he played in the waterfall.

I love your betta pond btw. I need to get my hands on some indian almond leaves now that I have a betta again.

5.5 gal tank with one Betta named Sid Fishious

Tags
aquascape, pico, planted hob, planted tank, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode