Lame fish tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lame fish tank?

Has anyone tried using those Critter carriers as a tank? You know the ones im talking about.

http://www.zootoo.com/smallpets_cage...tterpethomeorc

Cause there very cheap...and idk they just seem more orignal then the 2.5 nano tanks that everyone has. Any comments or suggestions anyone has dont be afraid to post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
i had a few. kept a betta in one for a few weeks. they scratch really easy. i now use them as plant holders, fish/shrimp acclimators/holders, and substrate rinsers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah that would be the only set back haha. Ive got my milliped in one. Not that he does much anyways haha. Cause unless people convince me other wise i think ill get one semi planted, with a couple clown killies. Awesome fish, but expensive huh

oh and some shrimp too, but the only shrimp around here are boring ole' ghost shrimp

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I use them as hospital/QT tanks sometimes. They're pretty handy to have around but all have a crack somewhere in the lip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 AM

yea scratches easily. knicks. cracks. but a very cheap QT for fish and plants alike.
a 10 gallon currently in use =P sorry side view

oh yea forgot too waterspots are much harder to take off then glass imo
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And what about a filter? do i really need one? haha
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Depends. Are you going to attempt to cycle the kritter keeper? If so then yes, the filter will help by upping the surface area inhabitable by bacteria. A zoomed 501 or Tom Rapids mini canister would be a better choice for that, will add much more room for error.

If you're doing a bare bottom QT tank, then you just need a source of circulation, whether it be a small powerhead or airstone. Water changes will need to be done every few days to keep ammonia from rising above 0.25ppm. I use a small Red Sea nano HOB with carbon or full water changes in that instance to remove meds. Sometimes I use a small submersible UVS for circulation if I'm QTing new livestock.

The main problem with Kritter Keepers under 5gl, and any container that size, is that there really isn't enough surface area for bacteria to keep up with the nitrogen produced form even one betta, let alone multiple fish. It can take one fish anywhere from 2 to 5 days to produce a toxic level of ammonia in a container that small. In a fully planted nano cube or similar, that is fed CO2, then plants can do most of the work there, but in a "lame fish tank", I imagine intense plant growth is not the objective. They work great for meds since many treatments will advise water changes between doses, anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info! I think i am just going to buy one of those small 2.5 gallon tanks from petsmart. I would like to grow some HC and I wanted to do it how clwatkins10 did it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...etting-up.html

For that does it have to be mud or sand? or can it be florite? what about a mixture of the both? And does it just have to be really humid in there by spraying all kinds of water in there from a mister?
thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those 2.5s are really cheap, so I would skip the kritter keeper, too. You can also pull the rims off the 2.5s (careful, very sharp edges!) for a rimless look.

Substrate choice is really your own preference based partly on the visual aspect. You have to take into account how you are going to fertilize the plants and whether the sub choice should contribute. If so, soil or fluorite would be a wiser choice. Root tabs can be used in snad. Once the tank is filled, water column dosing from dry ferts or Seachem bottled ferts etc are all the plants really need as most aquatic plants take nutrients from the water column. Heavy root feeders like Echinodorus or Cryptocoryne can still benefit from root tabs or an enriched substrate.

Many here are using ADA Aquasoil to grow HC with great results, both emersed and submersed, it's full of nitrogens from urea etc. It's not that expensive to use it in only 2.5 gallons, either.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahcrx View Post
And does it just have to be really humid in there by spraying all kinds of water in there from a mister?
thanks
Sorry, missed this part. You fill the tank with just enough water to keep the surface of the sub wet, standing water would be visible in the lowest parts of the substrate if it's contoured. Then keep Saran wrap or a tight glass cover over the top to hold the moisture in, the added light will create high humidity within the tank. You can periodically spray down the higher points in the substrate if the water isn't reaching them or keeping them moist/ saturated.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here's one of the original threads on that method, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...lgae-free.html

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW jaidexl. Thanks. That pretty much answered all my questions. haha. I will prob use a florite mixture because i have a bucket of it sitting outside, so why not use it. Ill have to look into root tabs more, cause ill prob do sand and florite mixture. And if it falls on its face ill go to ADA. Once i purchase the tank ill need everyones opinon on a hardscape, since i suck at them haha.

I think maybe i should change the title of this thread haha oh well
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 PM

yea if your gonna plant it i would jus buy the cheap bowfront 2.5 thats the one right .. pullable rims and stand..

if your growing hc swap that ugly bulb when u get it !
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah well they have like 2.5 gal ones at petsmart with glass top for like $11 so ill just buy one of those. And no i dont plan on shaving off the silicone, or taking the rim off the tank. haha

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode