New to planted tanks and starting with a Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks and starting with a Spec V

Hi everyone,

I've decided that i'm going to dust off the spec v that used to be a reef tank and give a planted tank a shot. i've been doing a lot of reading and still have more to go but the main question i have is reguarding my lighting. i realize the stronger the light the more co2 and ferts are needed to balance out the system. i'd like to avoid a co2 system for now if possible and was wondering if the marineland single bright led i have in the closet is good for anything other than an under cabinet light for my larger reef tank? i'm not up to par with all the plant names and light requirements as of now but i now i'd like the tank to be a red crystal shrimp tank with lower grass like plants in the front with either rocks or wood coming up from the substrate. if i need to get a new light thats fine, i just want to avoid get a light thats too powerful that will require me to get into a high light type tank. any other suggestions would be great too such as what soil, basic ferts, or links to any websites for supplies. thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I don't think that light will be enough. See here. The Finnex Stingray might work better.

For a grass carpet, Eleocharis 'Belem' can't be beat. Just make sure you have some good tweezers for planting it. Divide it into little plugs and plant them about 1/2" apart all over the foreground. Here are some low light scape ideas.

For a low light tank, some pool filter sand with root tabs will be fine. Dirt with a sand cap would be better, but only do that if you don't think you'll be uprooting plants frequently.

Get some dry fertilizers from the sellers here. Just post a WTB in the SNS and they'll come to you. You'll want potassium nitrate, monopotassium phosphate, iron, and CSM+B. A GH booster and some potassium sulfate is helpful but not entirely necessary. Do you plan on dosing excel? That will help a lot.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

fishly, thanks for the reply. i saw a link to a thread on here that was for a guy selling ferts of all types so ill look around some more. thanks for the links and scaping suggestions. when you say "dirt" what kind of dirt are we talking? and what sort of prep needs to be done to the dirt before going into the tank? thanks again.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix is what most people here recommend. You can also use worm castings or compost. You can put it in plain or mineralize it. Just make sure you put an inch or so of sand on top or else the tank will get very muddy.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well how quickly things change. lol. i have decided that i am not going to use the spec v due to its narrow width. i am going to use a standard 10 gallon that has been converted to an AIO. its basically the same thing as the spec v, just bigger. so now the question is with a 10 gallon, should i just go with the finnex planted+ for a light? and if i use the miracle grow organic soil, do i need to rinse it really well before putting it in the tank or just add the water carefully so i dont stir the soil and top cap up too badly?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode