Planted Spec3 w/ Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Planted Spec3 w/ Shrimp

Hey, all.

I set up this tank about a year or so ago for my fiancée. She doesn't use said room very often. and I've had issues with tank stability. I've actually left the tank alone for the last 2-3 months other than top-offs and let it stabilize.

I do plan on cleaning the tank, but it isn't as bad as the photos look. The algae is a _very_ short hair algae, I'd almost call it 'fur', that is on the glass. It comes off very easily and it does not grow _anywhere_ the java moss is. It looks fantastic on the black back, though, and the shrimp love it. I am holding off on cleaning until a few of the large females (which are berried) are done, as I don't want to stress 'em. The pictures make it look like the entire area is overgrown - it is not.

The plants? Should be obvious - two Anubias nana which have grown amazingly well since they were added, and have already flowered once.

There were large Marsilea minuta plants, but the larger clovers (I presume emersed) died off quickly, and the plant became quite short and began spreading. It spread pretty far and then for some reason stopped, but the clovers that are there are still healthy.

There were originally two large bunches of Dwarf Hairgrass (I think that's what it was), but those bunches themselves died off. Smaller bunches survived and have spread themselves throughout the tank. They are still alive and quite green. Not growing too much, though.

Lastly, there's the java moss, which has been growing ridiculously, and has also managed to grow itself under the gravel and is spreading around, which is a bit concerning. However, the shrimp love it. It does have an annoying habit of sticking to the glass, but where it is there is no algae.

http://imgur.com/a/esKNt

The first picture is how it looked the day it was set up. The next two are it now. I will post more pictures after the shrimp birth and I can clean them up/do some trimming.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode