Attempted to do a 2.5 nano this weekend. This is my first attempt at something more advanced than gold fish in a bowl.
I took an old 2.5g mini bow tank that looked like this
and removed the plastics for a semi rimless look.
It was a very budget minded setup, without the light and tank, the accessories (SMS, Filter/refills, Driftwood, PlantSolutions Water Conditioning fizz tabs, Florapride) totalled about 50 dollars total. (including the 20 dollars for the plants)
I went ahead to got some SMS from Home depot, some Java Moss, some other java.. Fern[?], and a Green Wendtii. I basically looked around for some low light plants since I don't really have a tank light right now.
Whisper 3g hanging filter.
Here is a pic:
Now for the Q's:
1) I think my Green Wendtii is dying (turning brown). Is it too late to maybe try to find some tabs for it? I put a few drops of liquid nutrients into the tank already. Not enough light? What's wrong with it
2) The tank has been cloudy since late last night (when I put everything together). From what I read, SMS is the culprit. My filter has been rinsed 3x already since it has turned completely brown every few hours. I put some clearwater drips into the tank. Anything else I should try? I'm going to attempt a small water change tomorrow.
3) I have a single Halogen bulb G4 12V 20W (the one from IKEA http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119381
) on the tank. Will this be enough?
4) Will having a hanging filter cancel out the option of running a diy co2?
5) I had a hard time anchoring my plants into the light SMS. Where can I find a place to pick up a small package of sand? I'm seriously thinking about picking up some sand from the Charles (I live 5 minutes from the river) and putting a layering it above the SMS. After I boil it ofcourse. I don't see the point in buying a big bag of playsand from HomeDepot if I only need enough for a 2.5g