Light for 2 Gallon Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Light for 2 Gallon Cube

I've got a little 8" cube tank and I had a Deep Blue Solarflare Micro LED 6700k Light on it, but that has proved to be too much light. The only plants in the tank are anubias. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Desklamps work fine for small tanks. Just make sure to look for bulbs within the 6700k-10,000k range, usually marked as daylight bulbs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kelvin is not important; its a visual guide but has no connection to how well a light grows plants (use PAR instead). I use 2200k myself as I like the slightly warmer look, just choose the color you like and make sure the bulb produces enough PAR. Desk lamps allow easy raising or lowering of light which is important.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 10-04-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: c0

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
Kelvin is not important; its a visual guide but has no connection to how well a light grows plants (use PAR instead). I use 2200k myself as I like the slightly warmer look, just choose the color you like and make sure the bulb produces enough PAR. Desk lamps allow easy raising or lowering of light which is important.
I'm refusing to get into an argument more than this, but from research I've done on sites that promote growing particular plants that happen to be legal in my state, but not in most other states, and in my own personal experience, kelvin IS important.

Plants use certain wavelengths of light more than others. Therefore is it most efficient to provide light for the plants that the plant can use best. Daylight spectrum, the 6700k-10,000k range in generally most efficient for the plants commonly grown in freshwater.

With the same wattage and light output, I get more growth from daylight spectrum than the warm (2200k-5000k) range. This has been most noticeable in my dwarf lilly (nymphaea stellata) plant, which reacts within 12-36 hours to changes in light spectrum. Lower light plants might do fine with the warmer kelvin range, but personally I'll never use that range on my tanks again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Please read this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=729417

Also, low tech examples using 2200k bulb (managed to find different carpet examples lol):

CO2 high tech examples (I sell some of these part time as a hobbyist) displayed lamp different from lamp used to grow them:

okay. Lets say I got the spectrum thing entirely wrong; if the above tanks can be grown with a single 24w 2200k warm white philips CFl blulb, then being wrong isn't really that disastrous no ?

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 10-04-2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added photos for joy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
right now i have 2 3watt leds over mine. its a pure white but not sure on kalven range. not sure how well they will do long term. no long term results tho as i only started using this tank 3 days ago.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks everyone!!
CFLs will work? Excellent! I've got one on my 7.5 and it is doing swimmingly, but I wasn't sure if the CFL would be too much. Anyone want to throw out a suggestion for wattage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
I'm refusing to get into an argument more than this, but from research I've done on sites that promote growing particular plants that happen to be legal in my state, but not in most other states, and in my own personal experience, kelvin IS important.
You gave me quite a good laugh, so thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
What is that plant growing out of the water? Gorgeous tanks!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks man~ Its some Marsilea species but I'm not sure which exact one. Between 14-24watts will work; depending on how high you want to raise your lamp to increase spread. Also while any kelvin will work; if you're very particular you can get a bulb that gives more effective PUR corresponding to the McCree curve(1972), however you need to read the spectrum chart to do this. (really not that important)

BTW growers that grow that plant that is not legal in some state do have good material on lighting. But a good article to follow would be this one, which rebuts many of the myths in lighting, spectrum included(if my own examples weren't enough):

http://www.reddit.com/r/HandsOnCompl...nked_together/

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode