Noob advice for Planted 10Gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Noob advice for Planted 10Gal

I'm sure most of you veterns are tired of us asking these questions, but I've been looking around the site for some time now and I've learned a lot but I'm still confused on what plants work well in a 10gal tank. Here is my plan for the tank setup and I'm asking for plant/aqua scape recommendations.

10Gal tank
Fluorite Substrate
2 small pieces of driftwood
20gal HOB filter
Satellite single bulb fixture 40watt
Some type of CO2 (DIY or Red Sea like system)

Life -- Not sure yet, but some shrimp and community fish

I tend to like aqua scape examples where there is a center point of interest (driftwood) then the plants go out from it. I would also like to keep most of the plants sized for this small tank. I would also like plants that are hardy, colorful and take a medium amount of maintenance.

Please help me out...Thanks Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. What exactly are you asking? Are you asking for suggestions for plants?

Depending on what you want to keep, your plant choices may change. At least in my experience, mixing shrimp with regular sized community fish is not a good idea as the fish will devour the shrimp or force them into hiding so you'll never see them.

As far as plants, you'll need to decide whether you want a carpet plant. I personally love carpet plants as they give a fuller appearance. With 40W over your 10G, it's a LOT of light, so you'll be able to grow carpet plants easily. I also like rotala indicia and different mosses. Depending on what you mean by "medium" maintenance, you may be in for a surprise. You have a lot of light, which will require a constant source of CO2 and ferts (you'll need to get some.. dry ferts preferrably). Most of the plants will grow fairly quickly and will need weekly trimming.

Also, with a HOB filter, you'll need to cover the "waterfall" part with a sponge to reduce the water agitation to prevent outgasing the CO2 you put in.

Maybe you could provide some more information as to what kind of fish/shrimp you're thinking of. What kind of plants you like, etc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response...

I am mostly looking for Plant advice but any advice is great...

I'm good with the weekly maintenance...I'm used to that now with my other tanks. I'm even OK with some daily maintenance, just don't want it to get too crazy.

As I'm perusing the forum I've been writing down various plants that I like, but it's not really clear whether or not some of the plants are easily kept. To start out with I want some hardy plants, then work up to the more difficult varities.

I haven't puchased the light yet, just on my list to purchase...There isn't many choices for the 10gal for 20" lights...if you have any recommendations please let me know.

When you talk about carpet plants, I'm assuming you mean low growing plants that spread and yes i would be interested...

thanks again for you help...Jeff

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Any advice? Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have a similar setup, and here are the plants that live in my tank:
- small swords (sold as bleheri, which I think refers to the original one)
- Ludwigia repens
- brazilian pennywort
- Crypt. lutea
- Anubias nana 'petite'
- some java moss in the corners
- frogbit and red roof floaters on the surface

At a little over 4 watts/gallon and with DIY CO2, Excel, Flourite, and ferts (Flourish), the plants basically exploded in my tank. Plant growth stops being fun when you can't see any water anymore. Especially pennywort is a gorgeous plant; it grows in any light towards the best light in the tank. Once on the surface, it floats. Beautiful, but without constant pruning, things can get a little chaotic.

For me, the floaters have helped. They grow very fast and take some of the light and nutrients away. I find this the easiest way to control plant growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Aquarist_Fist...Thank You!!! Exactly what I was looking for...

Do you have any pics of your tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode