My first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
My first planted tank

Finally got some plants and a hardscape for my 4 gal. The rocks aren't as cool as some I've seen, but they were the most interesting I could find.

I'm using flourite substrate, plants are java fern and dwarf hairgrass.

Will be setting up a diy co2 system in a few days when my diffuser and tubing arrive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
put your dwaft hairgrass to the back of the tank and centerpeice your java fern in the middle ( yeah its not really something to centerpeice considering everyone has java fern) but it will do
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I wasn't aware that centerpieces need to be super-rare plants. I use small amazons, hopefully the centerpiece-police doesn't find out and arrest me.

My experience with dwarf hairgrass has not been a positive one. It grows nicely, but there is nothing dwarfish about it. Definitely too tall as a foreground plant in my 15g. Cutting it is a pain, so I'll probably ditch it for some clover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
true - center peices do not have to be rare but definatly something your proud of or an idea you feel you have to accomplish with your given tank
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, but remember that this is a first-time planted tank. Keeping those buggers alive should be an accomplishment in itself. It definitely was for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Planted Member

I agree, I think the java fern would look better as a center piece. Also, what kind of heater are you using, if any?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't intend to keep the hairgrass as my foreground...but I've got nothing else for now and figured I'd try and grow it wherever. Would it be smart to move it all to the back or would that be a little difficult for me?

As for the fern, I'm guessing you all mean to center it between the rocks and plant it behind them?

..and the heater is absent for now. My apartment stays pretty warm, the tank is at about 79 degrees. I might not even have to get one over the winter, the college really cranks the heat up.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think it looks great like it is. I dont have a "center" plant. I think if you like it then that is what counts.
Mine all look like jungles have no planing but the fish are happy. All my friends are all non tank people and they think I am a genius. lol

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode