10g nano advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g nano advice

Hi All, noob here with my first nano planted tank.
Its pretty simple at the moment
just some ADA amazonia AS, petrified wood, HC grass and a (temporary) slab of riccia I couldn't find a home for in my other tanks.
I've just set it up today and i'm thinkin it could be better, but its a first attempt.
It has a twin 36w Power compact light fitting, a small internal power filter with a black stocking, and it will receive seachem ferts, and excel until i get some pressurised co2 set up.
I have some rotala sp green i might plant up the back somewhere and i'm currently looking for a downoi to plant mid to back somewhere.

My questions are
- How much seachem trace, and how often?
- How much seachem excel, and how often?
- Do i need any other ferts?
- What sort of photoperiod should i start with?
- How does one handle the apparently high amounts of ammonia that will come out of the AS.
- Is there anything else i need to know or any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2974.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	9737  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

also

Forgot to mention the "tree stump" piece of driftwood rear left will be topped with flame moss soon.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
doesnt sound and look like your a noob to me...but great start.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

thanks

This is the first tank i'd say i'd tried to aquascape, and i only got my first tank about 12 months ago, oh and i'm new to the whole forums thing too.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkum View Post
My questions are
- How much seachem trace, and how often?
- How much seachem excel, and how often?
- Do i need any other ferts?
- What sort of photoperiod should i start with?
- How does one handle the apparently high amounts of ammonia that will come out of the AS.
- Is there anything else i need to know or any suggestions?
1 and 2: Chart:

3. Some macros, which include Iron, Nitrogen (Nitrate), Phosphate, and Potassium. You can buy either regular Flourish, or Flourish Potassium, Phosphate, and Nitrogen (if you have nitrate levels in 5-20 ppm then you don't need to buy Nitrogen).

4. 8-12 hours of light is generally the recommendation.

5. That is what cycles the tank Just keep on doing water changes and test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

6. Not that I can think of now...

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

thanks

Ta, do you think i should put some fast growing stem plants in temporarily? i have some rotala sp green, mayaca, and willichii i could put in? Also feel free to criticise the layout, i've looked at it for too long now to be able to see how to make it any better.
Thanks again
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

update

Hi guys, i've still got no co2 so growth is slow and the battle with algae continues, but i'll soldier on, the HC growth seem slower than other peoples on the forums though, but here's where i'm at today

the DW was removed at the time of photo as i was working out a way to attach the clump of xmas moss on the left rear corner to it to look like a tree. We'll see how that goes anyway. The riccia will be removed as will the moss ball and the slender val, they're just in there to grow out a bit untill the HC thickens up and i can trim some to cover the real estate they vacate. I've also done away with the internal filter and changed to the eden 501 canister.

Thoughts/criticisms?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
riccia needs CO2, and HC rarely does well without it.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (42/100%)
When you say twin-tube 36 watt, do you just mean a standard 36 watt PC bulb, or are we talking about 36x2 (72 watts) over a 10 gallon?

Over a 10 gallon, 72 watts is a ton of light.

As @[email protected] said, riccia and HC tend to like their CO2 quite a bit. I've had some luck with Riccia without CO2, but it loses it's lush green color and doesn't look particularly good.

HC I've had little luck with even in a pressurized high-light setup.

I'm setting up a 10 gallon of my own, and this size tank seems to be extremely strange as far as lighting/accessories. I'm still holding out for Orlando's paintball setup. It looks nice, and maybe it'll be a few bucks cheaper than Red Sea's. (Here's hoping).

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteBlade View Post
When you say twin-tube 36 watt, do you just mean a standard 36 watt PC bulb, or are we talking about 36x2 (72 watts) over a 10 gallon?

As @[email protected] said, riccia and HC tend to like their CO2 quite a bit. I've had some luck with Riccia without CO2, but it loses it's lush green color and doesn't look particularly good.

HC I've had little luck with even in a pressurized high-light setup.

I'm setting up a 10 gallon of my own, and this size tank seems to be extremely strange as far as lighting/accessories. I'm still holding out for Orlando's paintball setup. It looks nice, and maybe it'll be a few bucks cheaper than Red Sea's. (Here's hoping).
72 watts!!!!!
what are you keeping plants or SPS corals!?

you definately need some CO2 in there with that much light. get it in fast because right now its an invitation for BBA.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I agree that's way too much light for what you're growing. I'm surprised that you don't already have a serious algae problem with no CO2.

I'd add some floating plants to cut the lighting, if you can't remove a bulb and cant add CO2 right now.

I'd also stuff some purigen in your filter. It seems your water is a little yellow. Purigen does wonders for clarity. Overall, nice growth though. Nice little tank.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteBlade View Post
Yeah it's heaps, but its been running since the 14th of sept and i've got control of it so far. I'm getting a plant spectrum (6400k) tube soon, so i'll have 1 10000k and one 6400k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
I'd also stuff some purigen in your filter. It seems your water is a little yellow. Purigen does wonders for clarity. Overall, nice growth though. Nice little tank.
I've been thinking about purigen, but how exactly does it work? will it take any of the nutrients that my plants want? how much would you use in a canister thats only filtering about 40L of water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
riccia needs CO2, and HC rarely does well without it.
The Riccia has at least tripled in size in the time that the tanks been running, and so has the HC, so we'll see how we go i guess.

Thanks for your thoughts guys keep em coming and i'll try to get some better photo's for you when my CRS go in and when I can borrow an DSLR
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Also guys, the light is not as ridiculous as it sounds, check out

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ore-watts.html
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkum View Post
Also guys, the light is not as ridiculous as it sounds, check out

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ore-watts.html
lol. Yes it is. Although I agree with Hoppy, that table isn't perfected yet.

It's too much light. Go down to 40 watts or something like that.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Owwww but i don't wanna! the HC is staying really low, and the algae is under control at the moment, maybe its co2 time now, so i can get it all stable before the crs are in there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode