Fish_Fasinated's 2.5G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish_Fasinated's 2.5G

alright this is my Betta's 2.5 gallon all glass home. it stands now with nothing but driftwood Anubias Nana and Java Fern. oh and that green blob in the back is a chunk of Christmas moss. bit of left over after adding some mosses to my 20 gallon. i am planning a re-scape, and i would like to take the time to share my thoughts and look forward to contractive criticism.

i would like to remove the anubias and the java. that leaves me with a bear piece of driftwood to work with. you can see from the next two shots what i have to work with the driftwood.

i will be adding Rotala Rotundifolia to the back as a bit of back drop, or put it in one corner and add another plant to the other corner. I'm not sure what to add if i were to go the second route. i would like to keep the same basic shape of the Rotala, but maybe more green. anyone have any suggestions here?

as for the piece of driftwood i would like to add a moss to this. I'm undecided on which type of moss out of the three i have to add. here is what i have and why i like them.

1. Christmas moss, this is the first choice as i already have some spare in the tank already i would just tie it to the wood instead of floating it. i think the darker green of this moss would give a nice contrast to the pinky red of the Rotala.

2. flame moss, i just absolutely love this moss. looks so cool, and has a sort of darker green to give a little more contrast again. it would look pretty interesting with the shape of the wood as well.

3. Singapore moss, a fairly nice light green moss. might bring the look of the Rotala more into the over all appeal more. if that makes any sense.

the final step is going to be adding some HC to the foreground after i get a second light. currently one 13W "full spectrum" PC light is all i have. in fact its the only equipment i have for the whole tank. but thats going to have to wait as I'm in college, just moved to a new city, and am still looking for a part time job.

so this is where i employ all the nano experts and the makers of all those gorgeous nanos I'm always seeing, to leave me some thoughts and constructive criticism on this tank.

thanks, Dan

Last edited by fish_fasinated; 12-01-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: meant to preview before posting and adding words lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
generally speaking WORDS make a post a lot better. Hard to follow how it transforms without some sort of narative....
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

lol i know, meant to hit preview instead of post.

now iv edited and added words.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh come on no thoughts from anyone?
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
I like it so far. The anubias looks like a giant in the tank.

Maybe you can consider some smaller plants like dwarf hairgrass, HC, glosso, HM to make the tank seem larger than it is?

Cryptocoryne parva is another nice one.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hence the reason for the redo. the wood will more then likely be moss. just don't know which type out of the three i have. rotala will be added into the back and hc is comming after adding another light as im only sitting at with one 13W PC light right now. i know lots to read, most dont like to.

any other suggestions to add to this?
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Rotala will work nicely. How hard is your water? Tonina species may make the tank look bigger too, or Myriophyllum matogrosso.

Having some plantlets of dwarf hairgrass pop up around the wood may look nice too.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

pretty darn hard, not sure how hard but i know its hard. heck local favorite is rift lake cichids.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

rotala added.

alright i added some rotala rotundifolia clippings from my 20 gallon to the tank. hoping this will solve some of the algea issues im having recently, that and better water change practices. i have decided that the anubias and java will soon be taking up residence in my 20 gallon in exchange for some flame moss. iv added some new pictures to show my little handy work so far.

thoughts please!

ps. sorry for the wordy beggining as i tend to ramble quite easily. future posts will be easier on the brain i swear.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dan, have you added a filter yet? I'd say that it would be super-important at this point if you haven't. Plants grow so much better with flow. It's so important that I'd recommend putting the money you may have for another light or CO2 or even fish and get a nano filter instead.

And a Yoda.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
Dan, have you added a filter yet? I'd say that it would be super-important at this point if you haven't. Plants grow so much better with flow. It's so important that I'd recommend putting the money you may have for another light or CO2 or even fish and get a nano filter instead.

And a Yoda.
I second the Yoda!!

You can even just add an air stone if you didnt want to fully invest in filter.. At least you would have water flow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*~ Stay in School, Keep Tetras! ~*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

its on the list, and before the light i might add. lol i threw in the RR to kinda tide me over as i JUST got a part time job yesterday! then im working on my 20 and this one at the same time. hopefully that won't be my downfall. and as for the yoda thats a luke skywalker i got way back when they re did the originals. i think ebay is the only way ill find a yoda.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh and i picked up nature aquarium world from my local library so ill be reading that a ton for the next couple weeks to get some inspiration!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

short update, the anubias and java fern are out. i attached some flame moss to the wood, had just enough to cover the top of the wood. ill snap some shots tomorow as its late and getting ready for bed as its 530 am morning tomorow
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking forward to those snapshots! Mostly because you can keep track of how well your moss grows by looking back at the snapshots. One day you look in your tank and it's like, "OMG! where did my fish go???" and then you find out he's been making little tunnels in your moss to get around and hunt. My old betta does that - but then his poor old tank is over-run with both green hair algae AND java moss and nothing else. He seems to like it, though. lol... He really does dig tunnels through the junk.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode