How to know if oto catfish is getting enough food - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to know if oto catfish is getting enough food

I just bought an oto catfish 2 days ago for my nano tank and seemed to be doing very well. I have noticed most of the leaves are cleaner now and he did a great job getting rid of the algae even in the glass. But if he ran out of algae to eat in the aquarium, how often do you give him supplements like veggies or algae wafers? What are the signs that they are hungry or undernourished? He is still going from plant to plant so right now I think he is still fine for now. I just wanna know what to do in the future thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Once he looks to be out of algae, give him some food every couple of days.
An oto should look plump if seen from the side or while clinging to the glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have new Otto's as well.

In one tank I have detritus worms galore.

I put zucchini clipped to side 2 days ago and the Otto hasn't touched it.

I just noticed last night before bed with the tanks 'moonlight' on, the zucchini has white worms all on it.

Is this the reason he hasn't touched it?

My instincts say of course it is. But then I think isn't the want for the food more powerful? Like if it had snails all over it, wouldn't the Otto find a spot to squeeze in?

I know Otto's aren't aggressive but I thought they were not scared if it came to smaller things like snails or maybe even worms?

I was scared of these worms at first but after many posts was assured they were harmless and good for my tank...but do you think the Otto is avoiding food he loves because worms are on it or is it more likely he still has plenty of algae around the tank to eat still?

Thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish are like many other animals, including children: If they are presented with a new food they do not immediately know it is food, and may be reluctant to eat it.
Worms, on the other hand do not have whatever warning signal is involved in avoiding unfamiliar things, or else the zucchini resembled something else they were already familiar with, so they moved in on it.
Keep offering a variety of foods, and when you find something the Oto will eat you can put 2 of something on the clip: The food he eats, and something new, including other vegies or algae wafers.
Mine like the inside of a broccoli stem. The skin is a bit too hard, though.
Green beans, sliced lengthwise to expose the tender inside.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Fish are like many other animals, including children: If they are presented with a new food they do not immediately know it is food, and may be reluctant to eat it.
Worms, on the other hand do not have whatever warning signal is involved in avoiding unfamiliar things, or else the zucchini resembled something else they were already familiar with, so they moved in on it.
Keep offering a variety of foods, and when you find something the Oto will eat you can put 2 of something on the clip: The food he eats, and something new, including other vegies or algae wafers.
I assume you use fresh veggies and not canned?

I tried a cucumber slice and mine only rested on it. The slice went gelatinous over night, ended up with a slimy goop that had to be fished out with a net
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have four ottos and feed mine a combination of zucchini, cucumber, and some kind of seaweed purchased at a local pet store. They seem to like the zucchini and cucumber most. I hang mine off a clip always in the same spot in hopes I can train them to look for food there. I believe they enjoy the seaweed as well, but that usually disintegrates so it's hard to tell. During earlier morning and early evening I'll see two or three attached to it. They never look really plump but after nearly 1 1/2 months they're not dead so something has to be going right in there.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just got home from work and read all ur msgs. Thanks guys for the tips. I'm goin to try if he'll touch the algae wafer first, if not I'll get the zucchini and see what happens. He is still working on some of the algae left in my plants. He looks happy still lol
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Just a quick reply, I read this earlier today...but retained what you stated and just wanted to thx for the reply Diana. Thx!

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Algae Grower

If you just bought an otto 2 days ago he's not full , and sometimes probably far to gone if you doesn't start eating with you pretty quickly
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drip loop View Post
If you just bought an otto 2 days ago he's not full , and sometimes probably far to gone if you doesn't start eating with you pretty quickly
I posted a pic in another thread and was told he didn't appear too thin, and also he has lots of algae to work with.

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

Yes but we are not taking into account is how long at the travel without eating till they finally get your tank in the other tanks have been a committed to be going there so much dress just in transit that looks can be deceiving in a lot of them can be sick beyond appearance. Funny thing about fish they can't say ouch
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry about the grammar its voice to text and as we all know it stinks
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

If you want to know more about them actually quite a bit more go on youtube and watch it how they're caught and get a better feel for what they deal with from that point until the end up in the final destination fish tank
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Algae Grower

If I wasn't driving I never would be posting this with voice to text and quite frankly I will probably be the last time I ever post anything I happen to have to contribute without using my own fingers to do it
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, I read up on them a lot before I got them. Read all about how they catch them.

I have tried zucchini and now algae wafer, but the wafer was covered by my amanos and I don't think he has it in him to shew the shrimp off bc he's outnumbered.

He is running out of algae I think. Tank walls are spotless.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode