How to know if oto catfish is getting enough food - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 03:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Otos are really skinny too and I can't seem to make them eat either.

I think I'll stop buying them altogether. They are typically wild caught with chemicals dumped in natural water sources. I'd rather not encourage that. Unless someone has found a captive bred strain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Mine love blanched Organic Baby Bok Choy.

Steam for 3 minutes take out put in cold water and then take skin off and put it on a clip or rock with rubberband.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 AM
Planted Member

Mine loves cucumber, especially the seeds. I don't blanch it, just peel it so it sinks faster. Shrimp go crazy for it too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
My otos eat cucumber and zucchini. I have some in my husband's tank and they are always plump so I only give veggie once a week. The batch in my 55g are idiots and don't eat the diatoms on the glass or goodies on the driftwood so I have to give them a veggie every 3 days (about how long it takes for them to pick clean a chuck)

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Algae Grower

I have 3 otos. 2 older ones that became extremely shy, and one I have acquired recently (and which has come with extra gift of ick, LOL).

I am giving them cucumber and Hikari Mini Algae wafers.
The old otos became very shy, just hiding on the back wall of the tank behind the heater or plants of driftwood, I do not ever see them eat.
The new oto is always next to feeding dish munching on the algae wafers or sometimes eating the cucumber.

There is a ton of algae everywhere, especially on Anubias leaves, but some of it seems very hard - I have hard time scratching it off with my nails. The snails seem to eat it, but I don't think otos do. Every time I change the cucumber bit, I throw away several snails. But they keep coming ;-)

I fear that my shy otos are going to starve. I don't know how to change their behavior and make them eat and come to the front of the tank.
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
I have 3 otos. 2 older ones that became extremely shy, and one I have acquired recently (and which has come with extra gift of ick, LOL).

I am giving them cucumber and Hikari Mini Algae wafers.
The old otos became very shy, just hiding on the back wall of the tank behind the heater or plants of driftwood, I do not ever see them eat.
The new oto is always next to feeding dish munching on the algae wafers or sometimes eating the cucumber.

There is a ton of algae everywhere, especially on Anubias leaves, but some of it seems very hard - I have hard time scratching it off with my nails. The snails seem to eat it, but I don't think otos do. Every time I change the cucumber bit, I throw away several snails. But they keep coming ;-)

I fear that my shy otos are going to starve. I don't know how to change their behavior and make them eat and come to the front of the tank.
You can be certain they are at least eating at night.

I thought mine were going to starve, had algae to be eaten, then began noticing the algae was always missing when the lights came on in the morning.

I never got mine to eat anything I tried to feed it, so I gave up and he's still happy and fat off what is in the tank...many many months later. These things really are amazing at cleaning your tank.

I tried most algae eaters, snails, amanos, and these Otto's are on another level.

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 03:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturneraz View Post
You can be certain they are at least eating at night.
Lets hope so. They are nice little creatures it would be sad if they starved.

But I would also like them to be more visible in the tank instead of always hidden. I just bought some Omega One Super Veggie Green Seaweed, maybe this will lure them out.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturneraz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
How big is your tank? They can live off biofilm just fine if the tank is big enough. You can also try feeding Repashy Soilent Green/Super Green.
10 gallon w 1 Otto.

20 gallon w 1...had 2 but one didn't survive the move

Idk what repashy is but I will Google that.

Thx.
I got some of the Repashy Soilent Green and every animal in my tank goes nuts for it. I have nerite snails, a school of chili rasboras, cherry shrimp, mystery snails and three otos. It's a little insane.

Make sure you prep it correctly, or it won't turn into a firm gel. I followed directions that told me to add the powder to water that had been brought to a boil, which I did, but it didn't really solidify. The second time, I brought the water to a boil in a tiny pot I had, and then added the powder, let it boil for a few seconds more while I stirred, and it worked like a charm. I poke a chunk of it onto the end of a steel skewer just to get it down to the feeding dish, tap it lightly, and it falls off. Maybe they all take that as a dinner bell ringing or something because within just a few seconds, they all start converging. It doesn't gunk up the tank AND stays firm until it's gone, which doesn't take long. ☺️

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode