How to know if oto catfish is getting enough food - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drip loop View Post
If I wasn't driving I never would be posting this with voice to text and quite frankly I will probably be the last time I ever post anything I happen to have to contribute without using my own fingers to do it
After no luck with algae wafers or zucchini, I bought seaweed and better clips.

From what the box says, these seaweed sheets aren't like zuchinni in that the box says to remove leftovers after a few hours.

I'm guessing like 3 hours I'll leave it in.

Man I hope he likes this. This little guy doesn't like anything. My tank is cleaner than ever but I can't find what he likes. Hopefully this.

Side note, it floated up, I figured the sheet would be of a thickness to where it would hang down flat against the wall...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could use it in a blend with gelatin or agar agar whatever that binder is and add veggies till your fish turn green
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drip loop View Post
You could use it in a blend with gelatin or agar agar whatever that binder is and add veggies till your fish turn green
I think that went over my head...what are you saying specifically?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Keep trying the zucchini. When I first started with otos I tried everything and they wouldn't go for anything. After a couple of weeks I just put the zucchini in every few days and eventually they got round to it. Once they recognize it they'll go after it every time. Be persistent and they'll find it and love it. Mine now flock to it within a few hours of it going in, every time.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuginMunin View Post
Keep trying the zucchini. When I first started with otos I tried everything and they wouldn't go for anything. After a couple of weeks I just put the zucchini in every few days and eventually they got round to it. Once they recognize it they'll go after it every time. Be persistent and they'll find it and love it. Mine now flock to it within a few hours of it going in, every time.
Okay will do. Been 30 minutes now and he hasn't touched the seaweed yet.

The amanos are all over it though

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
How big is your tank? They can live off biofilm just fine if the tank is big enough. You can also try feeding Repashy Soilent Green/Super Green.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
How big is your tank? They can live off biofilm just fine if the tank is big enough. You can also try feeding Repashy Soilent Green/Super Green.
10 gallon w 1 Otto.

20 gallon w 1...had 2 but one didn't survive the move

Idk what repashy is but I will Google that.

Thx.

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow that seaweed stuff is a huge mess.

I thought it would be thick enough to be sturdy kind of like a credit card .

That way the Otto could rest up against it just like the wall of the tank.

It is instead it is very thin and waves with the current.

Three hours later upon trying to remove it, bc uneaten you obviously can't leave it...the whole thing broke apart into a bunch of pieces so I had to end up fishing it all out with the net.

I'm not sold on the seaweed sheets. At least not attached to clips on the side. Maybe if there were a box with a top and bottom with open sides so the algae eaters could swim in and out easily, and that also clipped the seaweed to the bottom of said box.

Just something so that which ever way faces up has a top to prevent breakaway pieces from floating upwards.

That being said I had 1 to 2 amanos only..eat it and the Otto ignored it so idk if seaweed is worth it in the first place.

Zucchini... I cut that length wise. As opposed to the little circles. That way I have a long piece that can be as long as the zucchini and as thick as I want as to make it stiff.

Clip that on the side and it's a much better surface to rest on and eat on.

I know zucchini isn't natural in the wild for them but it seems more close to natural than seaweed. Or do I have that backwards?

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've tried algae wafers, sinking wafers, cucumber, squash, spinach, chard, lettuce, peas, seaweed and zucchini. The only thing they've ever eaten other than the diatoms and aufwuchs in the tank is zucchini. I have no idea why they're so fond of it. I'm willing to bet they'd go after the Repashy gel food as well, but I've never tried it; I have a great pig of a gourami who tends to selfishly devour anything that's left just sitting in the tank. It even goes after the zucchini after it softens up a bit (the angelfish do too).
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Seaweed has worked fine for me for years.San Francisco bay brand or sushi nori from walmart.
Yes it floats, and the guppies I raise shred it to bits which causes it to float all about the tank where other fishes,snails,shrimps enjoy it.Discus ,Angelfish,Plecos,oto's,nearly all of the livebearer's are but a few that I have seen eat it whenever I place it in the tank.
The seaweed and or zuchinni do not contain the animal proteins that other foods contain and I have left these foods in the tank for three or four days sometimes while away fishing, and fishes /water chemistry indicated nothing of concern.
Personally would not purchase otocinclus whose primary food is algae, unless I was prepared to allow enough algae to exist to keep the fish healthy/happy.
As others have noted some of these fish do not readily take to foods that they would not see in the wild where most of them are sourced from and some readily take to the vegetable matter.
I love these little fishes but I take pains to prevent algae so I don't keep em.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuginMunin View Post
I've tried algae wafers, sinking wafers, cucumber, squash, spinach, chard, lettuce, peas, seaweed and zucchini. The only thing they've ever eaten other than the diatoms and aufwuchs in the tank is zucchini. I have no idea why they're so fond of it. I'm willing to bet they'd go after the Repashy gel food as well, but I've never tried it; I have a great pig of a gourami who tends to selfishly devour anything that's left just sitting in the tank. It even goes after the zucchini after it softens up a bit (the angelfish do too).
Ha. You have got me beat! Sounds like sticking with zucchini is my best bet until he figures out that big thing in the tank is edible.

On the topic of catfish in general, I know my Cory catfish have long seemed to act almost blind in daylight. I obviously do not know this for fact but he acts like it when I see him searching for food right next to his head that he should be able to see but until his mouth hits it is when he acts like he has first found it.

Does anyone know whether blindness is a common theme with catfish? Just a random theory.

Other fish see food, zero in on it and attack it or swim to it.

Cory's seem to be "sniffing" the bottom and it is right next to their heads but until they finally touch it...they act like they don't see it.

Wondering if I'm correct and if maybe a common trait with all catfish? Otto's included? ( while we're talking about Otto's eating )

If so it would explain maybe not investigating new things clipped on the walls right away?,idk...maybe a stretch.

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Seaweed has worked fine for me for years.San Francisco bay brand or sushi nori from walmart.
Yes it floats, and the guppies I raise shred it to bits which causes it to float all about the tank where other fishes,snails,shrimps enjoy it.Discus ,Angelfish,Plecos,oto's,nearly all of the livebearer's are but a few that I have seen eat it whenever I place it in the tank.
The seaweed and or zuchinni do not contain the animal proteins that other foods contain and I have left these foods in the tank for three or four days sometimes while away fishing, and fishes /water chemistry indicated nothing of concern.
Personally would not purchase otocinclus whose primary food is algae, unless I was prepared to allow enough algae to exist to keep the fish healthy/happy.
As others have noted some of these fish do not readily take to foods that they would not see in the wild where most of them are sourced from and some readily take to the vegetable matter.
I love these little fishes but I take pains to prevent algae so I don't keep em.
Point taken. I am now realizing the whole "don't buy an animal to get rid of a problem" mantra.

Up until now, for me, this only applied to snail eaters...assassin snails and a clown loach. I can not complain about either of those 2. They do a good job and are so easy to maintain and fun to watch.

Now with this Otto...I am impressed, my tank is spotless on the glass and he even cleaned the tubing spotless that goes to my diffuser.

...but I am seeing how it can create a new situation easily.

Hopefully I can get his finicky food situation figured out before anything bad happens and he will be happy.

I can now see I am currently going to greater lengths to maintain the Otto than simply scraping the tank sides myself during my WC...but maybe that is just this initial part getting used to him and vice versa.

I see your point though.

post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
PS so you are telling me I can leave the seaweed in there for a few days? Is that something you did the one time when you were gone or are you saying you have since continued to do this?

I found it odd that I could put food (seaweed) containing salt in my tank in the first place but you are saying due to it not having animal protein I can ignore the directions and leave it overnight no problem?

If so this will be helpful in giving more time for my Otto to try it. I have 24 huge sheets of it & paid $7...it would be nice to get some use out of it! 😜

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

I have one in my tank, it's not the most active fish.
Shows no interest in food that has fallen to the bottom - flake or brine shrimp
Must be getting enough food as I have had him well over a year.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturneraz View Post
PS so you are telling me I can leave the seaweed in there for a few days? Is that something you did the one time when you were gone or are you saying you have since continued to do this?

I found it odd that I could put food (seaweed) containing salt in my tank in the first place but you are saying due to it not having animal protein I can ignore the directions and leave it overnight no problem?

If so this will be helpful in giving more time for my Otto to try it. I have 24 huge sheets of it & paid $7...it would be nice to get some use out of it! ��

I cut about three inch squares of the stuff and either float it on top where most of the guppy fry gravitate due to the floating plants ,or clip it to the side of the tank and leave it till it's gone.
Won't hurt nothing.

Felt bad for the oto's I kept when the algae was gone ,and even resorted to placing smooth stones in a bowl of water out in the sun till algae grew on them ,and then I brought the stones in and placed em in the aquarium.
Yep,trying to keep the little fellas happy was a fair bit of work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode