5.5 gallon question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
5.5 gallon question

i will be setting up a 5.5 gallon in a few and this is my set up. i have pool filter sand with root tabs and my plants (for now) is just anubias nana and some moss. i think its flame moss but not one hundred percent sure yet as it has not grown much. my light is the CF light you get from home depot thats 27 watts (i think) and my question is...is that enough light for low to mid light stuff or stricktly low light? also the light only covers like half the tank is that going to be ok? this is my first nano so i need alot of advice.

o i will be using dry ferts and excel in place of co2 is this the best way to go on a nano or should i use only liquid fertz?

thanks for all the help if i forgot to post somthing let me know and ill get the info as soon as possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to thejoie
I'm starting a divided 5.5 for my bettas soon! I'm planning on the "home depot" light too!! haha..... "the math" means that there's about 5 watts per gallon... considering substrate.. I know lighting in nano tanks doesn't translate 100% like that though. So I'm not sure! I think it definitely would be a mid-high light. It definitely that seems like the best way to go. I've heard that people have had a lot of luck with those!

Birds: Hahn's Macaw (Mia), Parrotlet (Millie), 2 Parakeets (Pixie and Pete)
Dogs: Boston Terrier (Wilbur), Bichon mix (Toby)
Tanks: 20L turtle tank
30 gallon salt water reef
10 gallon planted tank
2 betta tanks (Lucas and Mouth)

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:12 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You'll have plenty of light. I have a 5.5 with 11 watts and it does fine with medium light plants. I also have a pretty good glosso carpet growing, albiet slowly, and I fertilize rarely. With no CO2. Though, with higher light you'll definitely have to be on top of your fertilizer and Co2.

At this point you shouldn't need root tabs with anubias and moss. Neither will take nutrients from the substrate. Anubias do best when the rhizomes are not buried.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well my substrate is new sand so i think ill put some root tabs in just to be safe so we will see how it all grows.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
yes anubias die if you burry the rhizome, however, they often grow emersed and dont change forms. their root system is actually very developed, and they preffer to have some nutrients in the substrate. they dont need much, because the come from humid jungles, and in all rainforests, there are little nutrients in the soil. but i am fairly sure that they do absorb mainly through roots, not leaves. so if they are planted in the soil. put a 1/2 of a root tab near one, see what happens.

the moss however, has no roots. it would preffer liquid fertz.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok well from what i have heard i have decent light so i took some of my ludwigia clippings from my other tank and cut my nana in two and we will see how those do. also i was thinking about moving some of my HC into the nano (also from my other tank) but is my light enough for that?

as for fertz i use dry fertz in my larger planted tank would you recomend dry fertz in this smaller one as well or is liquid better?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

you have enough for the HC too.

liquid might be easier to dose, but its easy to turn dry into liquid. get some pure water (distilled or RO/RODI), and put some dry fertz in that. store it in different containers, and add the dry fertz so there is an amount easy to measure for each one (say, 5ml from each bottle a day). i say pure water, because you want control with your fertz. your control will be thrown off if, for instance, you dose N, but the water had 5ppm of nitrates to begin with.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:00 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
what is this 27 watt light from home depot you speak of? i need a light for my 5.5..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

THIS one hope the hyperlink works lol
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:04 AM
Anti iwagumi

No it didnt D:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:12 AM
Anti iwagumi

dont stress i found it
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i still have like half a bottle of liquid fertz its just flourish what would you recomend for amount to use of that? and the best way to add that small amount? also is that line of liquid fertz useless with out the hole line? right now im just using excel and the straigh flourish. thanks for the help.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

use the dose reccomended, and see if how your plants do. go from there.

go to CVS and get a dosing syringe (the kind with no needle). ask for it from one of the pharmacists. they will give you a small one going by .1 of a ml. that should work just right.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok ill try and find one. so just wondering CVS? whats that stand for
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
ok ill try and find one. so just wondering CVS? whats that stand for

http://cvs.com

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode