a 1.5 gallon planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
a 1.5 gallon planted tank

Hi i'm new here and i've quite recently become interested in planted tanks. well to start i don't know my latin names so could you state the common name then the latin name please so i can understand. i have a question. can i plant dwarf hairgrass in my 1.5 gallon tank? i don't know the lighting but it has 9 L.E.D lights in it so i'm guessing its medium light? what are the major things to consider when planting this? could i be given some facts and care for them along with problems? heres a pic of my current tank srry it's not great flash wouldn't work as well and it was night compared to my daylight pics

any suggestions for other plants and advise are gladly welcomed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:07 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
cant wait to see how the led's work out for ya. I'm excited to see a fellow Ky member here. Where exactly are you located? I might be able to help you fill your tank with lovely plants. I would suggest getting a more natural colored substrate, but I like the wood. Can you show a picture of the lights? I bet some moss would look great in there and the betta would appreciate it.

-Chris

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
you have java ferns and a bamboo-like plant. there are a lot of plants like bamboo but arent really a bamboo. bamboo is a tree and grows very tall, very branch (every one ridge would have 2 branches growing out of it), and can propagate itself with root runners. you have some kind of related plant.

java ferns are Microsorum pteropus.

LEDs or high output LEDs. let me put it this way: how much did light cost? if it was cheap, you just have regular LEDs that are not enough. if it was expensive, then it is high light meant to sustain corals. either way, its not the best thing for a planted tank, as its either too weak, or of the wrong spectrum (or both).

dwarf hairgrass likes finer substrates, prefferaibly with some nutrients (like flourite sand, or sand with peat or something, or fine eco complete). it may not be able to survive in that light.

suggestions:
-change the gravel
-new light

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:15 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
you have java ferns and a bamboo-like plant. there are a lot of plants like bamboo but arent really a bamboo. bamboo is a tree and grows very tall, very branch (every one ridge would have 2 branches growing out of it), and can propagate itself with root runners. you have some kind of related plant.
not to be picky, but bamboo is a grass . What he has is probably a type of bamboo called lucky bamboo

-Chris

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i live in northern kentucky but moving soon i'll try to get a pic of the light today or tomorrow any suggestions for substrate? and where can i get it (ie like petsmart or an online store) THANKS! my bamboo said bamboo but i know petsmart likes to lie about the plant oh and i was thinking of getting a christmas moss backround if thats ok

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oh and if your ever going to cincy i'm about 20 miles south of there

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Want some SMS? I have some sitting in a bucket for some time now that I am not using.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
not to be picky, but bamboo is a grass . What he has is probably a type of bamboo called lucky bamboo
in that case, ill send you a pic in september of my grandpa's house. it will show a nice big 2 story house, with some 3 story bamboo. THEN call it a grass.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Want some SMS? I have some sitting in a bucket for some time now that I am not using.
for the newb, idk if you know what SMS is, but it is a great soil used by many and it is used on baseball fields and turfs, great stuff for the price!!!!!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
in that case, ill send you a pic in september of my grandpa's house. it will show a nice big 2 story house, with some 3 story bamboo. THEN call it a grass.
I know that it gets really tall, ,up to 50 feet, and can grow a couple of feet in a day, but it really is a type of grass, just like corn

-Chris

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So SMS is dirt? you can use dirt? cool sure i'll take some. also how would you put it in the tank wouldn't it make mud?
(sorry if that question seemed stupid but again i'm just new..) oh and you wanted the pic of the lights here they are and a daylight photo of my tank
a close up on the light

a far away of the light

tank in day (it's much brighter than it looks weird camera)

any more suggestions and plant clipping will be welcome! (well clippings after i move so the new ppl don't get'em

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

sms is like small little bits, like, flourite, you know what fflourite is?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yep one thing i do know

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

thats sort of how it looks, just add it in tank and plant.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow much easier than i thought

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode