Possible to have planted nano without filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Possible to have planted nano without filter?

Im going to be building a nano tank for a weekend project pretty soon, probably ~3 gallons to be heavily planted. Probably med light with no c02 and light dosing as per Tom Barr. No w/c of course. Im thinking I wont need a filter to keep water params in order but solids might become an issue. The fish load will be adequate for the size. Suggestions...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Algae Grower

I know it can be done successfully. Someone recently posted a link in one of the forums (can't for the life of me remember which one) showing just such a setup. I'm currently working on establishing just such a tank at my office - 5g.

Dawn T
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
It can be done. I have two. Heavily planted and a light bioload will work really well, and it looks really beautiful. You could have shrimps, ottos and maybe a few small fish (depending on size of tak) without a filter as long as you keep up on the partial water changes (i do very very little ones every other day) and you have alot of plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I never actually tried to have a nano filterless planted tank on purpose, but I have had a 1.5 gallon acrylic critter box with 3 blue shrimp (neocaridina, but they are actually not blue http://www.petshrimp.com/neocaridinaspblue.html ) fliterless for over 3 months already.

They 3 shrimp were mixed with a batch of cherry shrimp I brought, and because I didn't want the 2 to cross breed, I separated out the 3 blue shrimp in the 1.5 gallon tank without any filer. (It was intended to be a temporary hosing until i figure out where to put them....)

I threw some flourite substrate, a clump of java moss, and a bunch of excess riccia i had in there, and pretty much just left it like this without filter since March 2008. Never had water change, only top off the water every 2 weeks or so, and it gets 23watts CF light 10 hrs / day.

The shrimp are all doing fine, the riccia covered the entire top, and the java moss probably tripled in size.

So...i'd say it can definitely be done if you have enough lighting and plant density.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

Found it!

http://naturalaquariums.com/bb/index.php?topic=1029.0

There is a link or two mixed into the thread that I found very interesting. Hope this helps.

Dawn T
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
but its best to have some form of aeriation, unless you plan on doing very frequent PWCs (which wouldnt be a bad idea on a tank with no filter...), otherwise the tank could experience cultural eutrophication.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im going to aerate at night. thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode