MedRed's 5.5 Gallon: Mini-M/Mega Rescape (R.I.P. 08.07.2009) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
MedRed's 5.5 Gallon: Mini-M/Mega Rescape (R.I.P. 08.07.2009)

So folks... This is my 2 month old shrimp tank. I've been waiting to get the tank in order. Almost there! I was using an aquaclear 20 on the tank. I found one of my Rasbora Briggitae's dried up outside of the tank. I thought it was a fluke but a few more went missing. I decided i'd put the lid on it to keep the fishies in. I ordered a zoo med canister so I could fit the lid on. My canister came in yesterday. I set it up today and went to take the aquaclear out. Guess what I found 4 briggitae (1 living) in the Aquaclear! I don't think they could have been sucked in as I had a sponge on the filter intake... they must have swam into the outflow. I really like the zoo med. I put in purigen instead of the activated carbon. I'll be switching the ceramic for bioballs.

I'm still not done with the tank. I will be placing some wood pieces in this tank. I could only take one picture before the timer turned the lights off! All the fish are hiding because I'd just completed a water change.

Special note... I did not use Co2 for this tank at all until exactly 7 days ago.

Inhabitants:
Clown Killies
Dario Dario (Scarlet Badis)
Rasbora Briggitae
Celestial Danios

Shrimp:
Red Cherries
Amanos
Bumblebees

Last edited by MedRed; 08-08-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Nice tank MedRed! I like that you have a large variety of plants. How long do you keep your lights on and do you have a problem with algae on the glass? My Solar M is on for 8 hrs a day from 7am-11am and 7pm-11pm and I have to scrape the glass pretty often =(

How do you like having the lid on your tank? I've been thinking of getting 1 for my tank as well to prevent jumping but concerned that the glass lid would end up requiring a lot of cleaning due to condensation and hard water getting on it. Can you show us more pics of the tank and lid?
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Gianne00 Send a message via Skype™ to Gianne00
Very nice!! The tank looks a lot bigger than it really is. What is the groundcover in the front-right corner of the tank?

5 gallon Eclipse corner with a pugnacious betta dubbed "Efiasatche" (say it out loud and slowly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Nice tank MedRed! I like that you have a large variety of plants. How long do you keep your lights on and do you have a problem with algae on the glass? My Solar M is on for 8 hrs a day from 7am-11am and 7pm-11pm and I have to scrape the glass pretty often =(

How do you like having the lid on your tank? I've been thinking of getting 1 for my tank as well to prevent jumping but concerned that the glass lid would end up requiring a lot of cleaning due to condensation and hard water getting on it. Can you show us more pics of the tank and lid?
I keep my lights on a 12 hour photo period with no break. I'm a bit of a maverick... I learned how to balance highlight, no CO2, and no algae early on (not by choice). This tank didn't get CO2 until a week ago. Not much algae at all in the tank. I haven't scraped algae in two weeks.

I've only had the lid on the tank since last night. I now have an added constraint in that I will need to keep the wood I get pretty low in the tank. My LFS ordered the lid for me... so I didn't know which one I was going to get. I have the one that is a couple of inches shorter than the footprint so that you can run your filters through and what not. I guess the shrimpies could still walk out if they wanted... but it's less likely I'll have any more fish suicides. I'll take more pictures today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianne00 View Post
Very nice!! The tank looks a lot bigger than it really is. What is the groundcover in the front-right corner of the tank?
That, my friend, is our dear friend glosso. It's doing much better now with the co2. I dumped the extra i didn't feel like planting on the far left.. The far left is how it's not supposed to look, tall and yellow. The right is low, green, and spreading on runners.

Thanks for the compliments!
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok... here is a pic of the lid. there are four little metal clips that go over the lip of the tank. They make a little shelf that the lid goes on.

Here is the bubble counter and diffusor set up. I love the bubble counter! the spiraling bubbles look like a science experiment

Here are some new pictures I took tonight of the inhabitants... I forgot to capture the dario dario's

Cherry

Cherry playing peekaboo

Celestial Danios: lower middle

Rasbora Briggitae

Clown Killies

Tiger
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Could you possibly resize those images? They blow out the margins.

Great tank!

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Could you possibly resize those images? They blow out the margins.

Great tank!
I realized that as soon as i posted them... I need to figure out my digital camera! Thanks for the compliment!
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Planted Member

Nice tank red,
I too have boraras B. in my tank, but you seem to have boraras M as well ? Ive noticed your dazs diffusor is external, I dont recall them carrying a spiral reactor ? Does it work similarly as a normal reactor and whats the flow rate?
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks torque. Yeah I have a few rasbora merah in there; netted them out of another tank over a couple of days. They just got lost in the hustle of the bigger tank. the glassware is the dazs beetle counter. It's just a bubble counter that looks cool. the co2 still has to go through a diffusor. none of the water from the beetle counter actually touches the water in the tank.
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Awesome tank!
post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Chrisinator! I still need to add a couple of pieces of wood and let the plants grow in. Come on Glosso! Oh yeah... just added a couple of sparkling gouramis as well.
post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
I keep my lights on a 12 hour photo period with no break. I'm a bit of a maverick... I learned how to balance highlight, no CO2, and no algae early on (not by choice). This tank didn't get CO2 until a week ago. Not much algae at all in the tank. I haven't scraped algae in two weeks.

I've only had the lid on the tank since last night. I now have an added constraint in that I will need to keep the wood I get pretty low in the tank. My LFS ordered the lid for me... so I didn't know which one I was going to get. I have the one that is a couple of inches shorter than the footprint so that you can run your filters through and what not. I guess the shrimpies could still walk out if they wanted... but it's less likely I'll have any more fish suicides. I'll take more pictures today.
Wow 12 straight hours and no algae? I'm going to try 8 hours straight instead now and try to work my way up to 12. Hopefully I'll have a CO2 setup soon to help with the algae.

I like your isotetes taiwanesis. How much did your LFS charge for it? How many fish do you have total in there? I have 11 boraras in my Mini M and wondering if I should add more. 1 jumped out the other day when I turned on the light in the room and it freaked him out. I'm considering the glass top.
post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Wow 12 straight hours and no algae? I'm going to try 8 hours straight instead now and try to work my way up to 12. Hopefully I'll have a CO2 setup soon to help with the algae.

I like your isotetes taiwanesis. How much did your LFS charge for it? How many fish do you have total in there? I have 11 boraras in my Mini M and wondering if I should add more. 1 jumped out the other day when I turned on the light in the room and it freaked him out. I'm considering the glass top.

I'm not sure how many briggitae/merah i have in the tank... maybe 7... i'll count them tomorrow as the lights are off now. I have 2 sparkling gouramis, 3 male and 4 female scarlet badis, 4 male and 4 female clow killis, 6 celestial danios... and and maybe 10 shrimp.
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
thanks torque. Yeah I have a few rasbora merah in there; netted them out of another tank over a couple of days. They just got lost in the hustle of the bigger tank. the glassware is the dazs beetle counter. It's just a bubble counter that looks cool. the co2 still has to go through a diffusor. none of the water from the beetle counter actually touches the water in the tank.
oh i see, for a moment, i thought you were using a new daz external co2 reactor.
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Love those clown killis. Wish I could get some..

Nice work on the tank.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode