new here! 5 gal hex question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
new here! 5 gal hex question

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking around reading this forum for a while, but this is my very first post- how exciting!
I recently set up a 5 gallon hex as a temporary holding tank for a very mean puffer. I believe it is the same tank that a few others on here have- the one that comes with the biowheel filter and the little hood with an incandescent bulb. I kept the filter but ditched the light hood and set up a clip-on desk lamp with a GE fluorescent spiral 13watt daylight bulb, positioned directly above the water where the hood used to be.
Here's my problem: I can't get enough light to reach the back half of the tank since the filter is covering that area. I have a crypt back there that is doing okay, but I tried to put a windelov java fern and even it needed more light.
Has anyone else experienced this issue with this tank, or does anyone have suggestions for other plants that require extremely low amounts of light besides java moss (which I am planning on trying as well)? What about scaping ideas that only involve plants in the foreground? I'm pretty new to the hobby so any and all suggestions will be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
funny i ditched the filter and kept the light. filter was so weak just didnt cut it for me. i put the 15w spiral in the hood. the front half of the tank is brigter. i put java fern, amazon in the back with no problems.any lower light plant will be ok back there. building a rock wall for the rear and gonna put moss on it so i wont have to worry aboe low light back there.

you can put any foregrond plant in the tank really, long as theres good light and ferts should be fine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM

welcome! i have that same tank...if you take the filter and rim off of the tank altogether, you could just put a hob filter on the back and have no problems. also, that filter seemed to generate some heat, and being that it's only 5g w/ summertime approaching, it might be worth it just to keep it from getting too hot. hope that helps!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments/suggestions!

Custom- The reason I ditched the light hood was because I tried to put my spiral bulb in the fixture that came with the tank but for some reason it wouldn't work, which I thought was strange because I had read in a previous thread that you put one of these bulbs in the same fixture. Oh well.

Aquaman- I have noticed that the filter gets pretty hot. I thought about ditching it too and just getting a HOB but I decided to try and stick it out. Maybe I will reconsider though, since this would solve my lighting problem too. Seems logical to me!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
the spiral bulb is tight in that hood. you have to press kinda hard to get it in since it has a rubber housing on the fixture. it gets alittle hot but doesnt burn or melt. i have a sponge on the filter intake because there shrimp tanks and the filter barely works.
im gonna sell the 2 filters from the 5g hex's for whatever.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode