Newbie!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Newbie!!

i just started this tank 2 weeks ago. not to sure about the whole lighting, co2 and substrate areas.

but for the plants i have
-Hemianthus Callitrichoides
-1 Marimo moss ball
-and some kind of fern

any critizisim or suggestions would be both helpful and appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0222.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	8156  

Name:	IMAG0221.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	8157  

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	8158  

Name:	IMAG0219.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	8159  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
You're HC in the rockwool makes me LOL on the inside(oxymoron much?). that's cute.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Remove the HC from the rock wool and plant each stem carefully into the gravel, its a PITA to do but it would make it grow well. I would tie the Java Fern to the would and make sure the rhizome (where the leaves and roots come out of) is above gravel. Make sure you roll the Marimo Ball once a week to make sure there are no dead spots and to keep it round. I would suggest getting a darker substrate as well And more of a defined hardscape. Add some stem plants like Rotala or Ludwigia or even some Hygrophilaa for a background.

In the Bettas tank I would do the same as above with the following. Tie the Moss down before the ferns to give the moss a better grip, then attach the Java Ferns. Switch the gravel out, it washes your fishes color out way too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Good luck planting HC in that white river rock hehe...

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The HC is a medium light plant. The java fern is a low light plant but is okay in high light.

If the HC shows signs of melting add flourish excell. It is a natural form of carbon (co2). I buy it on EBay for the stores that sell it are 20 miles from me. Thus it is ceaper to buy on EBay than going to the store.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

any suggestions on what kind of gravel i should use?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Tehe best is ADA Aqua Soil and probably going to be recomended but there are others like Eco Complete and Flourite that work pretty well.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how much flourish excell should i dose
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

depends

depends on your tank size and plant mass. Dose perhaps once a week at first and see if you like the growth. If not dose more or less depending on how fast you want them to grow
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
ok lots of stuff, get ready:

suggestions:
-whats your substrate? it looks like regular aquarium gravel, which doesnt contain the nurtients most plants need. your moss and fern dont care, but you HC will.
-your HC should not be left in rockwool. remove the rockwool and plant it stem by stem in the substrate.
-is the rhizome (the part where the leaves and roots grow from) of the fern burried? it shouldnt be, get it out of the gravel immediatly if it is.
-moss grows better tied, and looks nicer, you dont need to though.
-the wood would look better with one end in the gravel going up diagonally. but thats just appearance and preferance.

answers:
-flourite, eco-complete, and aquasoil are all good choices
-dose according to the instructions, or less. excel is toxic if overdosed. i think its 5ml for 10 gallons, but check the bottle to be sure. getting one of those oral dosing syringe-thingys would make dosing the excel (and other fertz) easier

questions:
what light are you using? are you puting in any CO2?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the tank is a 2.5 gallon. i've had this tank for 2 years now(without the plants).thats the reason for the aquarium rocks. just got the plants this week, so now im lookin for people who've had experience with 2.5s. the light is a 14 watt cfl super white n!vision. no co2 yet, might just use flourish ecxell

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
so light light is super white n!vision? is that different from daylight? I have the daylight ones made by them (got them at home depot) and they work, the super white might be too yellow for the plants, check the bult to see what the "k" is, it should say

-Chris

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
ok, that is good

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode