Instead of going out on a Friday night like a normal human being, I decided to stay home and work on the hood since I received my LEDs in the mail.
The old hood from the 6.6 gallon, my first experiment with DIY:
The new hood, before lights installed:
The new hood, after lights installed:
The crazy LED wiring in the back of the hood:
And they work!...on the second try
Empty tank with black latex paint background, LEDs on:
They're a lot dimmer than the camera makes it look, but they still might be too bright. They were EXTREMELY bright when I was running them on max current, so I jacked up the resistors. The first set were 33 ohms each, then I tried 48 ohms, then 220 and the lights are still very powerful. Since I'm running them at a much lower current than they're rated for, they will last a very long time, even longer than the 100,000 hours LEDs normally run for. To power them I set them in a parallel circuit with a standard phone charger (5 volts, 0.7 amps). I used this handy tool
to determine the resistors I needed. It also helps if you've just had two semesters of university physics
Since I used my dad's tools and wires, and my girlfriend gave me a couple phone chargers she wasn't using, the moonlighting only cost me about $10 and an hour of my time.
Tomorrow I will have to glue a couple more pieces of wood onto the hood, finish the wiring for the compact fluorescents, and then I'm filling the tank! I'll post the finished product if I'm not dead.