Compact Fluorescent vs. LED in 2.5G Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Compact Fluorescent vs. LED in 2.5G Nano

In an earlier post here, I indicated that I was having issues with the amount of heat my Coralife Freshwater Mini light was putting off. It was raising the water temperature a good 7 degrees or more (putting me into high risk for killing off my fish). I decided to check out the Current USA LED strips (10000K) to see if that would solve my problem.

The short version is that 1 LED strip did not cut it. Using 2 LED strips looks great (in my opinion anyway). In addition, I actually can't notice ANY temp increase with the LEDs on.

I am not sure how well my plants will do with the LEDs, but since it was so hard to find any info on LEDs used as the sole light source in a nano, I thought I would share.

I apologize in advance for the tiny pic size. The focus at full resolution got really bad so I figured you can maybe still make something out from the smaller versions.

Here is the Coralife Mini Freshwater 6500K (notice the "shade" on the left side where the light is not directly over)
Name:  Coralife Mini Freshwater.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  8.3 KB

Here is the Current PowerBrite LED 10000K with 1 Strip (centered, it left both the very front and the very back looking dim)
Name:  Current LED 1 Strip.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  9.5 KB

Here is the Current Powerbrite LED 10000K with 2 Strips (there is somewhat of a beam effect, but it can by minimzed by not placing tall things directly under the beams - which I haven't adjusted for yet)
Name:  Current LED 2 Strips.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  10.5 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Gianne00 Send a message via Skype™ to Gianne00
Interesting LED lights...do the plants grow well under them? And are they more expensive? Where did you get them? (wow sorry for all the questions lol)

It looks very nice! Things appear more defined in the last pictures, especially.

5 gallon Eclipse corner with a pugnacious betta dubbed "Efiasatche" (say it out loud and slowly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 AM

i wonder if the led lighting will take off for tanks. if they can grow the plants... of course.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

LEDs have huge potential for aquariums. At this point, the main disadvantages are the high cost compared to other sources and not a lot of options. The prices I am listing are from http://www.drsfostersmith.com. The set up I have with 2 LED strips comes in at roughly $100 (compared to the $32 for my previous Compact Fluorescent set up). Keep in mind that this is to light a 2.5 gallon nano. Hey we all have to do our part to stimulate the economy, right??

The LEDs I have are billed as being designed specifically for aquarium use. However, I understand lights at 6700k are best for freshwater. The ones I am using are 10000K (they do not yet offer a 6700K version). In addition, they appear to be slottted as supplemental lighting by the company. How they will do as the sole lighting source in my nano has yet to be seen. After a few days of use, everything seems as healthy as it was before and is significantly more pleasing to the eye. The look reminds me of much more expensive metal hallide lights. And more importantly for me, I have the heat under control again and don't have to worry about that aspect anymore.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
haha, a thought for pico aquariums, using an led to act like a tiny metal halide... haha

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 02:08 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
hey, i found the led thing i was talking about
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...al-0110-a.html

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode