Tom Deco Nano 2 and 3g Tank what do you think? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Tom Deco Nano 2 and 3g Tank what do you think?

Here is a link:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10455/product.web

What do you think? I have a 15 g and live in a studio and I am considering something like this for my computer desk (my fiancee is going to kill me) Do any of you have tom deco kit? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would go for it. But then again, I have seven tanks already. Of couse I would go for it. Go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hehe, if I only could and have monry, I would have at least 4 But really, any reviews of this system? It looks nice and it is not that expensive. I can correct my many mistakes I made on 15g with this one

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Be advised that nano tanks can be harder to maintain and keep successfully more than a larger tank. Params can be very unstable and fluctuate greater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
It looks nice. I have alot of nano tanks myself and would have to recomend keeping something that will not jump out of the tank or to cover the tank with something. The tank should be fine if you do frequent water changes otherwise, as SearunSimpson mentioned, there is less room for forgiveness!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, but generally, would you buy one like this (it has everything, a HOB filter, light and heater) rather than 3g tank and all the equipment separate?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Yes, it is always good to have all the equipment you need when you start a new tank. Are you sure it comes with a heater if not you can pick a small one up from Petsmart or Walmart (better price).

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 PM

PTrader: (4/78%)
aquatech 5 gallon hex 29.99 walmart same as the eclipse!!

ck out trhe walmart near you they have this tank its a 5 gallon hex, and it has the filter, and light with it !! I switched out the light for a spiral 14 watt 6500k, and my plants are awsome !!! I cant belive this is the exact same set up as the eclipse and all these nano tanks that go for 50.00 and UP !!! I got this at walmart for 29.99 !!!!!!!!! IT is a awsome tank, and you can put the carbon filter, or whatever media you want to in the top !!! ok, its a aquatech hex 5 !!!!!!!!! go look at your local walmart and see if they have them , if not see if they will order some in !! this is too good a deal to go buy a more expensive tank its the same exact thing !!!!! here is one pic of mine, sorry for the non cam skills...LOL, ok this pic was takin when I 1st set it up, *(I need to finish my jounal on this tank !! ) but anyway you can see the 5 hex, and I have 6 ember tetras and a female betta in there 4 now, I am thinking of adding 3 pgymy corys, if I can stay on top of the WC, LOL< dont want to overload to much !! I also may bye getting some yellow shrimp, in that case, the betta will have to be moved and the embers could stay , as I observe..LOL we shall see!!! but anyway heads up !! go find this tank b4 you spend soo much money on the excact same tank!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry 4 any typos, !! LOL< and the blurry pic!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06054.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	8021  

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
the only thing i dont like is the hex shape, its hard to scape such a tank, unless you do iwagumi but its too tall for that.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
yeah, I dont' like hex tanks either. The tom deco tank has a light in which the bulb cannot be replaced. It's very similar to the JBJ pico glass, which I would prefer over the plastic tom tank. I think It's worth the extra money.

- Join today!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 AM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
if your no worried about the price than its cool... but
i think 51.99 for a 3g tank is crazy lol. i could get a nice 10g for 50.00, or even buy a 5g bowfront for 35.00 at walmart or 3g bowfront for 25.00, but i guess im elcheapo like that lol.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Algae Grower

I personally love these little things... But for the money ($50-55), I'd rather measure it out and build my own custom 3G tank. Say something like a 14x14x4" (3.4G).
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeach, you are probably right. What do you reccomend for a filter and light (except a desk lamp, I don't like that) for a 3g glass tank?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The pico sounds nice, but it has a 50/50 9W light- do you think I can grow anything with that?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
well, those 50/50 bulb are ment for sw setup, it doesn't really do any good for plants... the aga 2.5 and 5g cost more then a 10g tho... but those smaller tank you can take the top rim off without too much problem...

10g planted pea puffer tank (Ceviche)
10g planted freshwater invert tank
map turtle (Tamago and Wasabi) (moved to a small pond)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode