Creative Excuses for a New Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Gianne00 Send a message via Skype™ to Gianne00
Creative Excuses for a New Tank?

Hello, I have been lurking quite a bit on this site now, and thanks to wealth of information and discussion by the people on this forum, I have a successful 5 gallon nano that is my pride and joy I am at work right now, so I can't post pictures at the moment, but just wanted to say thanks for the discussion/help here because this tank has been going strong for 6 months now.

Anyway, because of the success I had with my first planted tank, I am afraid that I am now infected with this..."Love Planted Tanks Virus"...this "I-dream-about-a-new-tank" syndrome O_o Unfortunately, due to limited space and my boyfriend's adamant NOT ANOTHER TANK talks, I am at a standstill as to how I can remedy this. I will be moving back into the college dorm this fall, but I know that I can comfortably fit and care for another 2.5 or 5 gallon tank I also want to do one of those nifty little tank journals, since I am kicking myself for not documenting my intial foray into the planted tank world. Now just to convince the boyfriend >.>

Any creative excuses that you may have used in the past, or any imaginative ways to justify the ownership of a new nano will be appreciated

Thanks again!
Gianne

5 gallon Eclipse corner with a pugnacious betta dubbed "Efiasatche" (say it out loud and slowly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Oh no...2 of your fish just started fighting! What to do?! Guess you'll have to start a new tank to put one of them in.

That's the excuse I'm gonna use

Eheim pimp #255

75 gallon semi-aggressive community tank with pressurized CO2, 8.6 gallon cherry shrimp tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40 breeder reef

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 PM

I think you need a quarantine tank!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You might want to check out this thread as well

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...-get-your.html

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Someone gave it to you as a present!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
A 5 gallon nano is just a novelty, it costs a lot more to keep it going than a larger tank, something like a 55 gallon would give you more money to spend on other things like gas and rent.

Of course that's a lie, but nobody has to know that.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianne00 View Post
Unfortunately, due to limited space and my boyfriend's adamant NOT ANOTHER TANK talks, I am at a standstill as to how I can remedy this. I will be moving back into the college dorm this fall, but I know that I can comfortably fit and care for another 2.5 or 5 gallon tank I also want to do one of those nifty little tank journals, since I am kicking myself for not documenting my intial foray into the planted tank world. Now just to convince the boyfriend >.>

Any creative excuses that you may have used in the past, or any imaginative ways to justify the ownership of a new nano will be appreciated

Thanks again!
Gianne

Break up with the boyfriend and date the guy on this forum who's wife doesn't want any more tanks...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think you need a quarantine tank and a propagation tank...so you can propagate your own plants (save $$) and sell them to people like me (earn $$). It's a win-win situation, and a business shoe-in!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Planted Member

What're you studying in school? If your major was anything science-related, an excuse could probably be spun from that...

Otherwise directly address yer fella's qualms about this. Why is he opposed to it? Is there a safety hazard he thinks exists? Honestly, he should be happy you're into planted tanks and not, say, breeding fighting dogs or cockroaches or something like that!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hahaha! Really, the funny thing is that HE has a ten gallon planted tank too! I take full credit for introducing him into the hobby He is actually trying to breed bettas right now. Two of MY bettas >.> The reason that he started his own tank was because every time he tried to infringe upon the placement or trimming of my plants, I would say, "Get away, it's my tank" lol.

No I don't think I will be breaking up with him anytime soon. How can you dump a guy who has never kept fish before, yet makes you a custom shrimp feeder? I think the real reason that he is so against it is money issues...we're both starving college students (quite literally...there's a million ways to cook mac and cheese I've discovered). I tabulated the costs of a new 2.5 gal set-up and it would be about $70-80 in all, including all the nifty plants I want to incorporate into it. I want to move away from the usual lfs plants here, although they are beautiful in my tank.

My major is Zoology. I'm not sure how to spin out an excuse from that. I was thinking of Botany or Entomology as well though, since both appeal to me very greatly.

And...I once again exhibit my newness...how do I get pictures to show up? I don't want to attach them, I want the images to be present directly in the thread, since that is much more convenient.

5 gallon Eclipse corner with a pugnacious betta dubbed "Efiasatche" (say it out loud and slowly
)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
"Hey mom I need to set up another tank to study plant growth and fish behavior in different variables. Its my Project for school."

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I hope I figured this out...

Here is my 5 gallon Eclipse corner:

Sorry the camera is bad...cheap camera I actually got in a secret santa game last christmas...

Efiasatche flares when you get too close

My other betta, Linus Carnegie (Rob named him >.>) in his tank. (I think my tank is better shhh)

)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 PM

lets put it this way take one home and get yelled at and just smile cause u noe ur keeping it lol thats what i did last night after i came home from work with a 5.5 gallon and 2 halfmoon bettas
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Maybe you can get lucky like me and have 7 tanks give to you. You can sell what you don't want and that would pay for what you keep.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankat View Post
Maybe you can get lucky like me and have 7 tanks give to you. You can sell what you don't want and that would pay for what you keep.
Hey send some of that luck my way!!

I definitely like your tank better, Gianne. Beautiful bettas, too!

Welcome to TPT

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode