McNasty's 10" cube (update 7-30) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
Exclamation McNasty's 10" cube (update 7-30)

what should i use as a heater and light?? i think my parents are going to pay for some aqua soil for me witch is awesome and i want a mini canister witch one do you think i should get?? i will have a diy co2 in it too

thanks for lookin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slowly but surly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nate_mcnasty; 07-30-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
for the filter try getting Tom Rapids Mini Canister Filter ...
for the heater... i suggest not to get 1 since forsure you'll get enough heat from the light (considering your using a pc light)
if you do get a heater try getting a HYDOR 7W NANO HEATER and place it under the substrate (here's more info :http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/A..._Substrate.htm)

^^<
post #3 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Having a plan is nice and so is having some Aquasoil

For the heater here is what I recommend (my post from another thread):

Quote:
I have several nano tanks that range from 1 to 6 gallons and I have heaters in each one of them. Most of them have either a 7 inch 25 or 50 W Hydor theo heater (from Petsmart) in them. I also use a Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 W that is 7.5 inches long. I am also using a Whisper mini heater (from Walmart) that's only 5 inches tall but it is preset to 78 F.

Here is a link to the Visi-Therm Deluxe page:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754054

I hope all goes well with your nano
Although there are plenty of choices for lighting I would recommend buying the Hampton desk lamp at Home Depot ($20). It has a sleek look and you can easily position the27W, 6500K CF light over the top of the tank.

What comes to mind when I think of mini canister is the Zoo Med 501 ($49.99 at petsmart.com):
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752617

I hope it works out for you and please keep us updated

post #4 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks for the posts and i just built this tank to day

slowly but surly

post #5 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

any other thoughts

slowly but surly

post #6 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
I think you should add redmoor root driftwood to the tank, it has a very branchy appearance and a red look that is amazing, and it is also very small. I think the hardscape is too short for my liking, the rock should be higher, if you are going iwagumi, and if not, the wood should either come right below the surface, or breach it, as many tanks have.
post #7 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

it's not a rock it's wood and it looks alot bigger in person i'm trying not to put too much money in this tank

slowly but surly

post #8 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I think it will be really nice once you've got some substrate and plants in there...any ideas for what kind of plants you're wanting to keep? For some reason I keep picturing a big wad of moss in there...what about fish?

About the placement of your driftwood: I think it will look more "normal" once you've got some substrate in there to sort of anchor the composition...it will raise the height some too. In my opinion using a larger piece of driftwood would crowd the tank; the way you have it now will allow you more room to create a sense of depth in this tiny little aquarium!! Nice job!
post #9 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

the sub straight will make a big difference a really want hc and some flame moss in it i don't want hairgrass don't really no what else will look good for longer looking plants

slowly but surly

post #10 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

oh and i think it's just going to be shrimp and oto's never really had luck with shrimp so i'm trying to figure them out with this tank

slowly but surly

post #11 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
oh and i think it's just going to be shrimp and oto's never really had luck with shrimp so i'm trying to figure them out with this tank
Great choice, IMHO as a shrimp keeper. You will have alot of help from myself and other shrimp keeping members for sure

post #12 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks neon i'll try to buy some on here i think the only reason i wan't good with them last tim is cuz i didn' acclimate them right and the water quality was poor how do you do this??

slowly but surly

post #13 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

It will be easier when you have a new tank set up and are adding shrimp for the first time. You can place the new shrimp with the shipping water in a bowl/container and you just add some of the new tank's water in small amounts over an hour period. There should be at least double the starting water volume in the bowl. Now you can pour the shrimp and water from the bowl into the tank, fin

post #14 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
get a heater, light will heat enough during day if it is in a hood. open top, not so much. besides then the temp would drop at night and that is the worst thing.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #15 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yeah my mom likes it really cold at night i filed the tank up today and it leaked from the bottom so i dryed it out and resiliconed it

slowly but surly

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode