Planted 7.5 Gallon Bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted 7.5 Gallon Bowfront

Hello,

I have a 24x7x9 bowfront acrylic tank (~7.5 gallons). I am using 2 t5 HO 24 watt bulbs, seachem fert line (dosed with a seamchem version of EI), excel and DIY Co2. In the past I struggled with all types of algae, the ferts and excel caused a huge turn around.
Once I started winning the battle against the algae, I pruned back everything in the tank to get rid of the infested plants and moved some things around.
If you do not mind I have a couple questions in regards to planning my tank now that everything is going smoothly.

Here is a picture of what the tank looks like currently.

In the tank I have 6 cardinal tetras, about 100 red cherry shrimp, 2 amano shrimp, 2 ottos, and 2 Pseudomugil furcatus.

In terms of plants I have wisteria, red ludwigia, chain sword?, Mayaca fluviatilis, hairgrass, and a couple leaves of HC left over.

Now for the questions:

1) Can I trim a stem of wisteria to look like a tree (keep the stem free of roots leaves, and shape the top)?

2) My suppositly dwarf hairgrass seems huge. Probably pushing 8 inches. Does it just look big because my tank is small, or is it possible I was sold giant hairgrass? Can I trim the hairgrass?

3) Another hairgrass question; as you can see in the picture, the hairgrass is growing rather messily. Is there some trick to get it to grow straight and orderly?

4)Last question which is open ended. What would you suggest I do in terms of placement to improve the esthetics of the tank. Change the rocks? Get driftwood, get rid of certain plants? Get some new plants that you think would work well in a tank this size?
I am hoping the foreground especially on the left will fill with HC cuba, however the few leaves I have left are growing quite slow. And that I can prune the ludwigia in the middle into a bush, and that the hairgrass will fill in the background.

Thanks for reading my message

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
looks like a beautiful tank!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
Tank looks good, sorry I cant answer any of your questions though. But I would like to add that you should have put the stick on thermometer on the side, it takes away from the scape in the front.

Thanks,
Rekles75

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the nice comments.

I bought the tank 2nd hand and there was already a thermometer on the front Not sure how I can get it off without scratching up the acrylic and leaving a mess behind.

Another question, to add to the list if you don't mind The biggest maintenance issue with the tank now is evaporation. I lose 0.5-1 inch of water a day. Do you think switching from my HOB to a canister would limit the evaporation? I know a lid would probably look best but I like the no lid look.

Adam
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Good start!

To answer some of your questions:

1) I don't see why not. It shouldn't hurt to trim the bottom leaves if you want to.

2) There are 2 species of "dwarf" hairgrass and one isn't terribly dwarf. Its not Giant though, because the hairs of Giant Hairgrass are thicker. It looks like you have Eleocharis acicularis instead of Eleocharis parvula (which is the smaller one). You can definitely trim it.

3) I don't know about making it grow straighter. I think trimming would help. Both types of Dwarf Hairgrass I have grow pretty messy.

4) When the Ludwigia grows a bit, you can trim it and replant it into a bush. I think that would look nice. Trim the hairgrass a bit and wait for the plants to grow in. I think the rocks will look better when the moss grows in more.

HC usually grows best in a nutrient rich substrate (atleast that is my experience), so you may not have good and fast growth with the sand.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for your help. I did place fluorish root tabs around where the HC is. Will that compensate for my crappy substrate?

Is there another relatively low profile carpet that would do better in a sandy substrate than HC that you can recommend?

Adam

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode