Thief's ADA Mini M Tank. Silence - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Thief's ADA Mini M Tank. Silence

Hi all,

Well today I received my Wood. Since I got this first I chose to make a nice branchy tank. I have sieryu stone coming soon so that just gives me another reason to get started on another tank.

Ok to start off I got my inspiration from a tank in the ADA Gallery on the AFA Site: http://www.adana-usa.com/images/gallery02/7.jpg

All the way to the right this tank really inspired by it's lush green and how nature it looks with the wood covered in mosses.

I plan to keep this journal picture intensive. Why well so I can trace my own steps again one day. Also might be a nice little guide to give beginner's like me something to go by and learn from.

Last week I receive my ADA Mini M tank and as soon as I heard the truck my heart raced to the door. The tank was more beautiful in person. I've only seen 2 ADA tanks at a fish store and I must say the craftsmanship it worth every penny. So of course after getting the tank I ordered Landscape Materials. I have the wood and now I'm wanting some seiryu stone.

On to the tank.

Here you can see I am trying to get my photos to sort of look like it is inside the tank. I read about this in an article here and I found that is makes a huge difference in photography.

On to powered AS Original Amazonian.

Pictures of the wood I got. Very nice wood.

Starting to put wood in tank.

Ok now I found the look I'm going for. I tie some pieces with a Tie Strap. I think this helps so when I go to plant it will be easier to not screw up all the pieces and having to rearrange them all over again.

I now add a flash because my natural light is gone.

10 minutes later I find that the right side with the piece on the ground does not look good so I add another piece to the other side on the ground to balance it out.

Ok so what do you think of the scape?

I am having troubles with trying to make the picture feel more into the tank. In person the tank look wonderful but in the pictures in seems kind of dull and not as much depth in the wood and such. Please tell me if you like my photography? I am looking to improve. With my dad being a professional Photographer he knows a lot about ISO, Shutter Speed, Lighting, and such. I find it hard to remember a lot of the stuff.

Right now I am confused a little. for Specs on Lighting and filtration. For filtration I am thinking of just getting a Azoo Mini HOB filter.

For lighting I have no clue were to start. I want a open top tank and I can't hang from the sealing. So I need something to fit on top of the tank such as a light with legs. I am looking for something nice but not expensive. Any ideas? The sooner I get the light the sooner I can get planting. Ohh and I don't think I'm rushing. Ive been reading 4-5 months looking and reading so I think I know a good deal now.

I will be running my tanks on DIY CO2. I will buy and 5Lbs container when I have more tanks up and running as I plan to use a manifold.
I will be using no ferts at all and plan to use mostly mosses in this tank. Also plan to make this into a shrimp breeder tank.

Well I think this is enough info and Q's. Please ask any questions and criticism and comments are welcome.

Last edited by thief; 12-29-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
ADA tank ADA soil...... You going all out huh?

I did see a light that would fit on the top of the tank on eBay, I couldnt find it just now though but if you keep an eye out for it, it may resurface. I believe the smallest was about 18 in. across though. Or go with the desklamp sold at Home Depot a lot of other members have gone with for their nanos.

Question, what kind of wood is that, has it been soaked and did it let out a lot of tannins? I like the wood, it has good grain lines in it. (I think thats what they are called) I would like to see it wet though.

Anyways you are off to a great start, I cant wait to see more progress.

SUBSCRIBED

Thanks,
Rekles75

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking good!

Ill be following this thread. Btw, how many gallons is the tank?

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 AM

heh heh this is one of the best posts i have seen. puts my soon to be 5.5g to shame.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Before adding water, and all that jazz and starting planting the carpet and what not, I'd get the moss you're going to use, tie it to the wood, stick the wood back in, and then start your planting and filling (spray moss to keep it moist) all in one day. Trust me, and I'm sure others have gone through this pain- that having perfectly placed wood and then filling with water then trying to attach moss just stirs it up, messes it around all everything else.
Just a heads up. Attach moss, then re-place the wood in the desired spots.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks really good. I hope you soaked your wood first. You wouldn't want it to float up on you.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Tony
Looking good, im going to follow this one
Take a look at my tank in the link below. Its the fixtures im using, dont know if you have them in the us, but they are perfect for smaller tanks, fully adjustable. Just turn them when you need to get yor hands in the tank but still want some light.

http://www.plantswap.se/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3728
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow a lot of reply's. Thanks all.

rekles75: thanks. Lol I wouldn't say going all out ADA but going with what I can. For the light fixtures I am still looking for more. I found 2 possible ones. Such as the Corallife 9" Mini Fixture. it would be great but you can put legs on ti or anything. But I might shed 40 bucks and come up with a design for DIY legs.

For the wood it is Manazani (sp?) wood. I got it from fishandturtlejunkie at APC.

Bananamacho: Thanks for the comment also I am only guessing but I would say in between 5-8 gallons. You might be able to find it on the ADG sit though.

Sticky230: sticky do not discourage yourself. Just look at TONS of photos and shoot for the tank you want and gather your materials. For me as I said before I spent the last couple months reading looking and planning. In the end this scape just happened to become what it is.

SearunSimpson: Ahh man thanks so much. Really I forgot all about that. I will have to go to one of the hair spaces and get a mister. The photos you see about was before I boiled them. Later that night I boiled the wood for about 5 hours. I boiled one piece at a time so I didn't lose my original scape. Also thanks for letting me know about planting moss first. Well I will take pictures off what my final hardscape will look like. Yesterday I put a lot of the AS Powder. Now I have to dig a lot of it out as I don't want to use too much substrate. Right now I have about half inch of Powder in front and 3 inches of powder in the back lol.

Matsu49: Thanks. As I said I boiled the wood and surprisingly the color looks really good. I had huge doubts when buying the wood but it looks pretty dark when I boiled them. Also about 3/4 of the would sunk after boiled but the bigger pieces will need more time.

Tony: Thanks for the comment. WOW your tank is hot. The wood is awesome. The moss on the wood is great. Your tank is very sleek and clean looking. Great job. The lights you have look really good but I am afraid that the light will be to small. I am on a plug budget. I didn't mention it here yet but I am planning to set up a ADA Rack system. About 6-9 ADA tanks will be setup here and I am running of one switch. But right now I only have one ADA tank. In the long run I will have 3 ADA minis with one light on top of it so it would save on plugs.

Thanks for your comments and keep the reply's coming.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Love the scape, love the tank, and very nice documentation of the entire process! Nice pictures! I really enjoy it when someone documents their tanks with a lot of photos, well done. Looks great!

post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
ADA is a great brand do what cha do.

? Are you going to keep the white cardboard as the back ground. I have heard some talk about using a white background but I havent seen it done. I thnk is could be interesting if the shadows from the wood keep showing after the tank is filled up.

Also I heard it makes your lighting brighter.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 PM

Excellent post!
It will look marvelous when finished.
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry for not being around. Schools been a pain in my back. But now that it is the weekend I can progress. Ok tonight I will be taking photos of the final hardscape and then I will move on.

CmL- Thats for your comment. Also your HC that you sent me seems to be growing well.

Rekles75- thanks for the comment. For the background I got it from my basement. My mom always brings usful things from work. But this isn't regular cardboard. It was very hard to cut through. Maybe compressed cardboard. But all what I know is that it took me a good 30 minutes to cut all of it and it has a nice texture to it. Right now I think I will use it as a background. I don't know if I should make side backrounds though as I would like to see everything froma different perspective.

Crimson- Thanks for your comment I really hoep that this tank will inspire other too.

Ok I recieved aqua journal 151. By far the best AJ I've read and the photos and comparing it to a tank really helped. Although I don't know what plant they used on there wood it look awsome and I believe it is java Moss. So I will be going with this as it made a great carpet/clean plant flow on the wood. I think I will use traditional plants like the ada tanks use.

I will find out tonight on what plants I want to choose from. Also I might show some pictures of plants I do not know they are.

So keep a look out for questions. At first I was planning to use only mosses and Hc but now that I get more into it I find using 4-6 different plant in a tank really adds character to the tank and makes it more interesting and wild looking.

Update in a little bit.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey guys,
Welp this week has been so tiring. Literally didn't get any rest this weekend as I had to work from 6am-7pm. But today I did manage to get some photos of the Final Layout of the HardScape. I got a bunch of inspirational magazines and it helped me with positioning my driftwood.

I got my seiryu stones last Thursday too. I plan to order more as I am not happy with all them. But I will be using these for my next tank.

In case if you were wondering where all these tanks will go. Well here s one of the 3 shelf's. That is a 2.5 Iwagami test tank that's been running for a couple months. I planted HC recently and it is starting to grow a little.

So now onto the Hardscape.

As you can see I move around some of the pieces to adjust to the left side of the tank. I wanted to position some pieces on the right side to try and create a flow from the left to the right. It may need a little tweak but this is what it is now.

Today I did a lot of searching for light systems. I saw one light in the #150 Aqua Journal. In it is a contest of ADA Nano contest 2007 Thailand. I saw a picture of a light that fitted perfectly on top of the ADA Mini M. So I googled for aquarium lighting and about a hour of searching I found this site: http://www.boyuaquarium.com/en_Artic...?ArticleID=398
In this site there are many lights. I contacted the company and hopefully they will tell me which one would fit best on my ADA Mini M. So if this works this might help others who are looking for nice lighting. Of course I do not know how much it is but I would think it is under a $100. I will keep you updated on this.
Also I've been looking a many mosses. I want moss that will look like a nice carpet on the wood pieces. Any suggestions? Taiwan Moss, Willow, Java, Peacock? Some insight on this would be appreciated. I am still looking at pictures for plants to put in the back, Mid ground, and foreground. for for ground do you think a combination of HC and Glosso would work? I really nice how they looking when tangled in each other, such as one of Amano's Iwagami tanks, where from what I can tell he uses Glosso, HC, and Riccia combined to make a wild and very natural looking carpet.

Other wise thanks for reading and Help, comments would really help. Any experienced Scapers here with plant suggestions would be helpful.
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 02:56 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
i personally would think that willow moss would look great on your wood

-Chris

post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 AM

Great hardscape, looking forward to see the tank planted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode