Anyone tried LED lighting yet?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Anyone tried LED lighting yet??

My short question first:
Has anyone tried the Current USA PowerBrite LED Lighting System (4x1W 10000K) in a freshwater Nano?? Is it sufficient for the main light source for a 2.5g nano? Out of desparation, I just ordered one.

The background:
I have been lurking this site for the last several weeks (great resource by the way) and am finally running into some issues I could use some help with.

I set up my first nano tank about 3 weeks ago. It is in a standard style 2.5 gallon glass aquarium. I am using a Coralife Mini Freshwater Aqualight (18w compact flour.). My plants seem to LOVE it, but it is doing my fish in due to the rise in temperature when the light is on. I am in Texas where indoors the temp in my house can frequently hit 80 even with the air on (trying to conserve the a/c costs). I got home from work the other day and the temp in my tank was 86F!! It was only about 79F in the house. Several of my green neons were clearly on their way out. After a quick water change and a few ice cubes, I got it back down to 82 and the fish seemed okay for the moment.

I need a light source that will keep my plants thriving, but not cook my poor fishies. When I purchased my Coralife light, I almost bought the Current USA LED strip, but decided against it since I couldn't find enough info on it and an email to the company when unresponded to. Is anyone using LEDs for the sole light source in a planted Nano? If so, how do they work for you?

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Tony
LED is the future, by time there will be cheaper and better fixtures.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I have tried using a fan on the Coralife Mini and it doesn't seem to help a whole lot. The light just gets extremely hot when running. In order to remove it, I can only grab it from the very edges in order to not get fried. In some ways it is amazing that the tank does not get warmer than it does. I think if I were using it on something bigger like a 5 gallon, it might be okay. The 2.5 is just so...well, so nano.

Thanks for the hints on other posts. After some searching, I still haven't found a solid use that matches mine. So, I guess I get to be the guinea pig and report back to everyone. Luckily the place I bought my Coralife through will still let me return it since it has been less than 60 days. It is too bad that it gets so hot because it seems like a good light in most other ways for my set up.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
The lighting system you are using can be just a bit too much for the size of your nano. I was considering using one on an 8 gal but decided on another system.

As for a 2.5 many nano aquascapers use a cheap deskl lamp that you can get a any store that sells desk lamps. Just see if you can find one that uses a 13w pc which should be enough. If you feel that is not suffecient get two of them!!! They are cheap and from what I have read work very well.

There is also a clip on 13 w pc that is made for nano setups, but I don't remember where I have seen it. I need to get one for my 3 gal nano which has only a 9w.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
any tank with a hood (especially nanos) get heated up by the lights. if you remove the hood not only will the tank not be 7 degrees above room temp, but it will actually be cooler since evaporation cools the water (it evaporates less with the hood since it is more humid plus it condenses on the hood and condensation heats the surrounding area). home depot sells a very good light (27 watts) and it is great for growing any plant you want (i reccomend having the light raised to the max above the tank or it is too strong).

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 AM

http://www.petstore.com/ps_ViewItem-...ct-TA6131.html

what about something like this? would this be sufficient to grow plants in a tank?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky230 View Post
http://www.petstore.com/ps_ViewItem-...ct-TA6131.html
what about something like this? would this be sufficient to grow plants in a tank?
Just a quick question I'm hoping someone can answer - why does the above listed light only have a 30-DAY warranty?

Dawn T
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
i saw a guy that used leds on his 20 gallon long once on the web

-Chris

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Taam Rio Mini Sun Daylight Lighting Fixture might work fine on a 2.5g nano. I looked at that one, but it seemed like it may be overkill too. I have found it hard to uncover a lot of details on how many LEDs are needed in various applications when being used as the primary lighting source. The high end ones for large tanks use like 20+ LEDs so I figure a strip with 4 (like the Current USA I have on order) may be fine for a 2.5 gallon?? However, my eventual plan for my nano (after proving to myself that I can keep my green neons alive for a reasonable timeframe) was to get some killiefish. Apparently, those are notorious jumpers and need a well covered tank. So, my first focus has been on something that can just go right on top of the covered tank. I wasn’t expecting the heat issue so I am having to adjust tings a bit. Of course having a cover and then using a light (clip on or other) to be a few inches above the cover would probably work too. </SPAN>
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Whoops Wrong thread... Sorry

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 AM
Planted Member

ok, was just wondering what was your experience like with regards to growing plants using the powerbrite. I too are now considering on getting it for my upcoming custom made nano tank. Just want to hear from someone with experience. Let us know, thanks
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuj View Post
ok, was just wondering what was your experience like with regards to growing plants using the powerbrite. I too are now considering on getting it for my upcoming custom made nano tank. Just want to hear from someone with experience. Let us know, thanks
I agree it would've been nice to hear back on his experience using the light. I guess I'm reviving this because I'm about to buy the Current Powerbrite strips for lighting my new 2.5g tank.

A search turned up a guy using one Powerbrite strip (4x1w of the 10000k) to light his 5g bowfront reef tank. (thread here) Corals were apparently content with the light and grew. I think we can safely assume that it'd grow low to medium light plants just fine on a small tank. The 12" length would make it a natural choice for a 2.5g and that'd be 1.5 watts per gallon of more efficient (than fluorescent) light.

Only trouble is I might be trying a mini reef in mine. Still deciding but we'll get it worked out this week. If it's reef I'll probably go with 3 Powerbrites, if it's fresh I'll do just one or two strips. The only potential hiccup is my bestfriend and brother are electricians and want to frankenstein me an LED system. They did a sweet job on my frankenlight for the 40 breeder, but store bought materializes faster..

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

I recently added 21x 0.5w LEDs on my 10g planted. Too early to tell on results, but plants are growing.

I have 12 red leds, 4 blue and 5 white (just to even out the reds and blues) Total of 10.5watts of lighting
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The Rio light won't be enough for a two point five gallon. Not even for low-light applications. I'd say you'd need three of those to get to medium light.
I had one (for about half an hour) on a two gallon tank and I couldn't see a thing.

Also, the "daylight" spectrum looks more like moonlight than daylight to me. Very blue.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev82 View Post
I recently added 21x 0.5w LEDs on my 10g planted. Too early to tell on results, but plants are growing.

I have 12 red leds, 4 blue and 5 white (just to even out the reds and blues) Total of 10.5watts of lighting
Sounds very cool, do you have any photos of the setup? Do you find the overall color of the tank pleasing to view or are the red/blue overpowering?
I'd love to see what it looks like. Did you find a nice cheap source for those parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
The Rio light won't be enough for a two point five gallon. Not even for low-light applications. I'd say you'd need three of those to get to medium light.
I had one (for about half an hour) on a two gallon tank and I couldn't see a thing.

Also, the "daylight" spectrum looks more like moonlight than daylight to me. Very blue.
I saw that light when comparing prices for the Powerbrites. I noticed they had those little lights as moonlights or daylight + moonlight. Not sure how or why you'd combine daylight and moonlight on one tiny little fixture... The pictured light is the day/moon one? That certainly doesn't look like it could provide the primary light for a tank. Thanks for sharing, as I briefly considered that for the 2.5g tank.

It really seems like you need higher watt leds rather than a high number of lower powered (<0.1w) LEDs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode