First planted nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
First planted nano tank

i posted this on another site but didnt get much response so i was hopping i could get more here.

i have been tossing around the idea of starting a nano planted tank for my desk at home

i would like the tank size to be between 2.5 and 3 gallons.

so i have a 27 watt desk lamp that i have seen other people use in nano planted tanks before. i got it at homedepot and it says that it has a "sunlight bulb" is that ok for plants it doesnt say the K (atleast that i noticed). this is the LIGHT will this light work with out changing the bulb? or do i need to hunt for a new bulb and mostly high light stuff like glosso and low growing stuff some grasses

also for substrate i have seen people use unfertilized potting soil topped with sand. is this good? or would sand and a few root tabs be better? or would it be better to try and get florite in a small quantity?

i would like to keep a few shrimp in the tank and maybe some tetras but not sure. if it is planted heavy will i need a filter? i will do water changes once a week....or more. i know i need some water movement so ill atleast have a tiny powerhead in there but do i need a filter for somthing this small that is densly planted?

also i will be dosing with flourish and excel. i can put a diy CO2 system on it but will i really need it if im doing excel? also in my larger tanks i have a air bubbler run at night to off set the plants not producing any oxygen will i have to do this on this small of a tank?

ok last question is it ok to take the rim off a small tank like this caz i cant seem to find many tanks that i like the look of around here. (small town)

sorry for all the questions but any advice would be great thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome to the wonderful addictio.....world of planted nanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
so i have a 27 watt desk lamp that i have seen other people use in nano planted tanks before. i got it at homedepot and it says that it has a "sunlight bulb" is that ok for plants it doesnt say the K (atleast that i noticed). this is the LIGHT will this light work with out changing the bulb? or do i need to hunt for a new bulb and mostly high light stuff like glosso and low growing stuff some grasses
Unfortunately, the link you provided says that "The product you are trying to view is not currently available." However, "sunlight" could mean that it's 6500K, though I've often heard this referred to as "daylight". Perhaps "sunlight" would be 5000-5500K?

27 watts, is a decent amount of light over a 2.5g nano, though without knowing what type of bulb (i.e. straight PC or spiral?), you might not really get 27 watts due to restrike. I personally use two 13W spiral PC over my 2.5g because I don't like the "spotlight" effect of a single 27W bulb. I'm not sure whether Glosso will grow carpeted with a single 27W. I know that dekstr has grown Glosso with reasonable success using two 13W spiral PC (he has a 2.5g nano journal that you can check out here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...trs-2-5g.html). Grasses like Hairgrass will grow fine with two 13W bulbs. I can also tell you that Riccia will grow submerged fine with two 13W bulbs. Do keep in mind you will need to dose macros and micros if you use lots of light.

Quote:
also for substrate i have seen people use unfertilized potting soil topped with sand. is this good? or would sand and a few root tabs be better? or would it be better to try and get florite in a small quantity?
Not too sure on the potting soil topped with soil, I've never used this before. I use a small amount of fluorite in my 2.5g, it's not too bad.

Quote:
i would like to keep a few shrimp in the tank and maybe some tetras but not sure.
With a tank this small, I would only keep shrimp; I think Tetras would be unsuitable for a tank this size.

Quote:
if it is planted heavy will i need a filter? i will do water changes once a week....or more. i know i need some water movement so ill atleast have a tiny powerhead in there but do i need a filter for somthing this small that is densly planted?
A filter is a good idea; I use a Redsea nano filter, other people use miniature canister filters (I think "Tom" was the brand). Even if you do weekly water changes, in a densely planted tank, you want to maintain some water circulation.

Quote:
also i will be dosing with flourish and excel. i can put a diy CO2 system on it but will i really need it if im doing excel? also in my larger tanks i have a air bubbler run at night to off set the plants not producing any oxygen will i have to do this on this small of a tank?
The decision between DIY CO2 and Excel is up to you. I use DIY CO2 because it's not too much of a hassle on a 2.5g. As for keeping an air pump running at night, again, this is up to you. I don't keep any shrimp/fish in my 2.5g nano, so I let CO2 run all the time. The amount of CO2 is through the roof (my drop checker with 4 dkH reference solution constantly shows >30 ppm).

Quote:
ok last question is it ok to take the rim off a small tank like this caz i cant seem to find many tanks that i like the look of around here. (small town)
Yes, you can take the rim off a small tank; just use a sharp razor blade and do it slowly. dekstr has also done this on his 2.5g nano.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 03:47 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
The homedepot desklamp is good.

No tetras, shrimp or micro rasbora could be good, a Dwarf Puffer would do alright in there.

Filter the tank with the redsea nano or one from walmart.

DIY CO2 is a good idea and you could dose excel aswell, I do both on my 5.5g giving it a small dose of excel 1 - 3 times a week.

Potting soil is used by some people and it could work. I have this PDF saved that shows you how to make your own fertilized substrate.

PM your email and I will send it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
thanks for all the help sorry it took me so long to reply i was away from the computer all weekend but ill give it a shot and see how it goes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode