4 Gallon Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
4 Gallon Nano

Ok, first off, this is my first attempt at an aquarium of any kind, so don't expect anything spectacular. I recently bought the 4 Gallon Finnex setup off ebay.

Tank: 4 Gallon Finnex glass tank (12" x 7.5" x 10" high)

Lighting: 13w PC fixture (silver aluminum hood, with polished reflector, acrylic lens)

Filter: HOB filter (31.5 gallon per hour flow, sponge and carbon cartridge filtration)

Heater: Visi-Therm Stealth 25watt heater

Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia II Powder

Plants: Tropica Fern, Fissiden Fontanus, Peacock moss (Taxiphyllum sp.) Dwarf Sag (sagittaria subulata) Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula) HC 'cuba' (Hemianthus callitrichoides) Anubias Nana 'petite'

Inhabitants: Red Cherry Shrimp (Once tank is cycled)

Ok, now on to some pictures...

This picture was taken when I first set the tank up. I had bought that Tropica Fern from Petco. It is actually a pretty good looking plant considering it came from Petco. I believe this picture was taken on 05/02/08. I was waiting for my other plants to arrive from MrJG.

Once the plants arrived from MrJG (thanks again!) I went ahead and planted them. Here is a picture taken on 05/08/08.

And here is a shot of the tank from today, 05/09/08. As you can see I moved a few of the plants. I still am not sure if I like this setup or not. I might be moving some more stuff around. I ordered some excel and a nice pair of long tweezers so once those arrive I plan on draining the tank and breaking up the HC and spreading it out more in hopes of making a nice carpet with it.

And here is one more picture from today of the full tank shot.

Like I said, this is my first attempt at an aquarium of any kind, so I know it is nothing spectacular. But, any feedback or criticism is always welcome. If you have any comments or idea's then please share. Thanks for looking, and I will be updating this as the tank matures so be sure to lookout for updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
one thing i learned is that the rhizomes of the ferns shouldnt be burried.
its also nice. make the substrate slope and uneven to not give a flat look.
nice driftwood. also seperate the hairgrass and plant them seperately.
this should prevent algea build up. and space the HC apar also if u want
a nice carpet. but dont make the spaces between them too big.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Pinoyboy, thanks for the feedback. I will separate the dwarf hairgrass some more when i separate the HC. And to the rest of you, 114 views and only one comment? I know it's bad, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Hi Chizamp..looking good! I love my 4 gal finnex, it is my only tank that has stayed algae free.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
good so far, but it needs some stems.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

waterfaller1, thanks. Do you have a journal for your tank?

@[email protected], thanks for the advice. Any specific stems that you would recommend?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
Hey chizamp

Good to see you got your tank set up. It is off to a good start.

I am no expert but I do think you should stagger the substrate a little and add some back groud plants.

Maybe something that fills the back in real good if you are not going to use a back ground. Dont use any Vals though as excel will melt them, as I recently found out.

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizamp View Post
waterfaller1, thanks. Do you have a journal for your tank?
No, sorry..I never started one for that tank. I have pics though.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
I have pics though.

I would love to see them.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizamp View Post
I would love to see them.
Ok..I will post a little thread in a bit.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
rotala rotundifolia, limnophila sessiliflora (asian ambulia), cabomba carolina, and weighted down hornwort are all good background fillers and should grow good in your tank.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@[email protected], thanks for the suggestions. I will search and get some more info on these plants.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
maybe an update? i wanna see how this turns out.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
This looks like a cool tank... Deffinatly get that fern's rhizome out of the substrate, or it may go a little brown if you know what I mean. Ferns like to be attached to wood by the rhizome. Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis' and H. Corymbosa 'Siamensis 53B' are both nice stems.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice tank. these finnex ones are smooth... with small tank, you should slope the substrate if you can. lower in front then raised in the back. you could go as low with .5 inches in front without problem. it really makes a difference giving small aquariums depth. you can do it with a fork so you don't make a mess in the tank if you 'd like.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode